We have started a work on PlatformIO Debugging feature. It's a long process and we will keep you up-to-date in this thread. PIO Debug will be available in PIO IDE 2.0 at the first stage. Later, we will extend our project generator and you will be able to use it with other IDEs that support GDB Debug Front-End.
It Just Works. Easier than ever before!
How to try PlatformIO Debug?
PIO IDE 2.0 Debug has not been released officially yet. In this case, you need to perform steps below and switch IDE to a development branch.
Install PlatformIO IDE 2.0.
- Please goto
Menu: PlatformIO > Settings > PlatformIO IDE and check these items:
- Use built-in PlatformIO Core
- Use development version of PlatformIO Core
- Use development version of PlatformIO IDE
After a few seconds, IDE 2.0 will start switching to a development branch. You will see blue indicator at bottom right corner. Please don't close Atom and wait while IDE asks about "reload".
3. Minimum supported versions of PIO IDE/Core are: 2.0.0-beta.2.3 / 3.4.0a3
4. You should see new menu item:
Menu: PlatformIO > Debug.
5. Create/or Open project with a board that is ready for debug, press "Debug" button on Toolbar or use menu mentioned before, use debug toolbar with navigation button at the bottom of source code.
6. That is all!
!!! No need to install extra software, prepare firmware for debugging or spend time on debug tool configuration. All should work without extra steps, PIO resolves this complicated work automatically "on-the-fly" !!!
Supported development platforms
Development platforms with debug support have not been released yet! You need to install latest versions manually:
PIO IDE 2.0 > Home > Platforms > Installed, please uninstall current stable version of development platform.
PIO IDE 2.0 > Home > Platforms > Advanced (button).
- Paste here Git URL (see below) of development platform and install it.
- Finish! Don't forget to check for updates time by time.
Arduino Zero, Arduino M0 Pro, Atmel ATSAMR21-XPRO, Atmel SAML21-XPRO-B, Atmel ATSAMW25-XPRO, Atmel SAMD21-XPRO
99% of all listed boards are already pre-configured for PIO and are ready for debugging. No need to buy extra JTAG/SWD adapters.
My board is not supported yet
Please reply to this thread with all details:
- Board name (URL)
- If it doesn't have On-Board debug link and you have own JTAG/SWD adapter, please post here all information.
The PIO Plus Team