ESP32 & PIO Unified Debugger

That’s quite a long and old thread. What problem do you have exactly?

Did you try to debug but the debugger didn’t start? If so:

• What kind of debug probe do you have?
  • Have you used Zadig to replace the FTDI driver with WinUSB (on interface 0)?

Or did you try to upload a program? If so:

• What button or label did you click to start it?
1 Like

Hi! Thanks for your help.

I try to execute the HelloWorld example on the ESP-ROVER-KIT board. I want to do it in debug mode through the board builtin JTAG. I’ve set the 4 jumpers (MTCK, MTDI, MTDO, MTMS and even with and without EN) as mentionned in the board’s documentation

I start the debug (Pre-Debug) and this is what I get:

If I open the json file I get this but I’m new with this so I don’t know what I’m looking for:
{
“version”: “0.2.0”,
“configurations”: [
{
“type”: “platformio-debug”,
“request”: “launch”,
“name”: “PIO Debug”,
“executable”: “c:/Users/bbeliveau/Documents/PlatformIO/Projects/191105-101542-hello-world/.pio/build/esp wrover kit/firmware.elf”,
“toolchainBinDir”: “C:/Users/bbeliveau/.platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa32/bin”,
“preLaunchTask”: {
“type”: “PlatformIO”,
“task”: “Pre-Debug”
},
“internalConsoleOptions”: “openOnSessionStart”
},
{
“type”: “platformio-debug”,
“request”: “launch”,
“name”: “PIO Debug (skip Pre-Debug)”,
“executable”: “c:/Users/bbeliveau/Documents/PlatformIO/Projects/191105-101542-hello-world/.pio/build/esp wrover kit/firmware.elf”,
“toolchainBinDir”: “C:/Users/bbeliveau/.platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa32/bin”,
“internalConsoleOptions”: “openOnSessionStart”
}
]
}

And if I look at the debug console, I get what I have shown in my first post, which says that my device is not found. If you look at my previous post, the VID/PID on the board seem to be OK.

I’m up to date with VSCode and PlatformIO. I set my PIO account. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

As @manuelbl said, since the error is “no device found”, it seems you haven’t used Zadig to change the FTDI drivers to WinUSB, as it’s said in multiple threads across this forum. See overview at Error: libusb_open() failed when trying to debug - #2 by maxgerhardt

Arggggg. That was it maxgerhardt, I did not run Zadig.
But now it’s working.
Sorry for this and thanks for your help!

1 Like