Works on VS Code, does not show up on VSCodium

Because of … Microsoft… I would prefer to run Codium … but the PlatformIO does not show in it’s extension list.

Evening @andre.kjellstrup,

I’m using VSCodium on Linux Mint 19.3, 64 bit. I have installed PlatformIO without any problems just by searching for it.

I did originally have a problem getting any of the extension stuff to work, that was Mint 19.1. I raised an issue, Marketplace for extensions is empty · Issue #142 · VSCodium/vscodium · GitHub, and if you follow the link, you might be surprised at the cause!

It won’t help you if you are on Windows though.

I’m pretty sure I’m on the latest VSCodium, I can check when I’m next at my laptop. What OS are you on and what version of VSCodium please?

Cheers,
Norm.

1 Like

It’s due to a recent change in VSCodium… whereby they are not using the VS Code Marketplace. :open_mouth:

There is another thread from a month ago going through this same trauma. And as I mention at the end, even if PlatformIO were to also be listed on openvsx, it wouldn’t help, due to the need for the official Microsoft C++ extension…

Microsoft EEE in effect? :face_vomiting:

That’s interesting. As it still works, and updates, on my VSCodium, I must be using an older version of it.

Luckily (for me at least), I prefer to use the CLI commands.

Maybe it’s time to remove VSCodium from my system. I never got on with Atom when I tried that as my editor. Too clunky and slow.

Cheers,
Norm.

Yeah, I never got on with Atom either… strange.

It was introduced in 1.46.1 through this PR, but since the documented way to revert it is to alter the product.json file… Perhaps updates don’t fiddle with all of that file if it already exists? Since your VSCodium still works, I wouldn’t (voluntarily) change anything … it will break itself soon enough like any good Micro$haft product! :laughing:

I might need to upgrade to the latest supported (for PlatformIO) version, but no further. :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers,
Norm.

1 Like

So, because M$ is evil, platforio should be added to https://open-vsx.org/ ?

Won’t do much good adding to open-vsx due to the need for the official Microsoft C++ extension… (for intellisense, auto-completion, etc). Best option for VSCodium is to change back to the VSCode Marketplace, which appears to be a breach of of the terms of use, so should not be done for legal reasons.

I’m plotting! World domination can wait a bit though. :grin:

I have a Raspery Pi in my officce with PiHole installed. I’m thinking of installing VSCode to see what telrmetry it sends back, then blacklisting anything not already done by the Pi. That might work.

PiHole is currently stopping between 36 and 56% of requests on my network just for adverts, trackers, etc.

Cheers,
Norm.

1 Like

So … the open sourcing of VSCodium is just a scam ?- a crippled freemium product just to pose as if they opened up something - right ?

No not at all. VSCodium was working perfectly – I was using it for ages with PlatformIO.

When Microsoft changed the rules, PlatformIO could no longer be seen in the available extensions.

So, no blame on VSCodium.

Cheers,
Norm.

I understand, have read up on it.
It’s the M$ as usual, not VSCodium - but m$ crippled VSCodium by denying it access to the “marketplace”.

1 Like

Yup. I am “forced” to use VSCode now, but with a Raspberry Pi running PiHole, I don’t suffer the telemetry – which is also turned off.

Cheers,
Norm.

1 Like

I can’t say for certain the rules ever actually changed, or if it was finally drawn to someone’s attention it needed to be changed in VSCodium if they didn’t want to face a call from Microsoft’s lawyers at some time in the future :wink:

No, not really. VSCode has been open sourced, basically complete, in VSCodium… just use of the companion online extension marketplace is not allowed, hence why open-vsx came into existence, to provide that open online extension marketplace, and fill in that particular gap.

1 Like