Using portable PlatformIO IDE Offline (Windows, VSCode)

Hi,

I am trying to use PlatformIO with the portable version of Visual Studio Code. I enabled portable mode in VSCode and want to install PlatformIO for portable use.

I cannot install the PlatformIO extension on the target PC directly because I have restricted internet access via a proxy, so the PlatformIO Core installation fails:

Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'ProxyError('Cannot connect to proxy.', error('Tunnel connection failed: 407 Proxy Authentication Required',))': /simple/platformio/

Is it possible to install PlatformIO IDE on a different machine with full internet access on my portable VSCode version? Do I have to copy the %HOMEPATH%\.platformio folder? Does it matter that the user names differ on the two machines?

Or could I someone set the proxy settings? (I would prefer to manually copy files and not to do that, if possible and necessary).

Thank you

I’d like to be able to do the same, but according to this topic, it seems like it’s not possible just yet.

I had the same problem, trying to make VSCode + PIO + Frameworks + libaries etc. portable, so I could distribute it to other machines which then can use it without the need to download or setup anything. My solution was a VM. VSCode + PIO works on an Arch Linux VM with xfce4 with just 2 cores and 1GB of RAM (so on pretty much any machine) and can easily be distibuted without the need of any further setup.

2 Likes