Tutorial for creating multi cpp file arduino project

Hi alll, i’m quite a beginner in programming world; i would like to show here an example code to understand if i have well learned splitting principles:
main.cpp

#include "Arduino.h"
#include "main.h"

int delay_ms= 250;

// Set LED_BUILTIN if it is not defined by Arduino framework
// #define LED_BUILTIN 13

void setup()
{
  // initialize LED digital pin as an output.
  pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);
}

void loop()
{
  blink();
}

main.h

#ifndef MAIN_H
#define MAIN_H

/* types for global vars */

/* global vars */

extern int delay_ms;

// prototypes don't need named attributes in the .h file

void blink();

#endif

blink.cpp

#include "Arduino.h"
#include "main.h"

void blink(void)
{
  // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, HIGH);

// wait for a second
  delay(delay_ms);

// turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, LOW);

// wait for a second
  delay(delay_ms);
}

This code works but i have a doubt: is it all ok? Syntax and form are correct? There is something that can be done in a better way?

The example is syntactically correct indeed. You’ve splitted the function and the global variables accross the files correctly.

Now, this are are purely subjective “style” comments but it is general aggreed that global variables should only be used very sparingly (Why global variables are evil). The global variable used in the blink function in that case seems like a bad idea, style wise, since it’s not necessary. You can remove the global state dependency by making the delay_ms an argument of the function. You could also make the pin then an argument of the function. The less global state the better.

Of course, it still makes sense in some cases to have global variables: Like global objects for a e.g. display object, sensor object etc. But parameters which only matter to one function should be taken as an argument.

2 Likes

Thank you!, very clear and concise explanation, even for me :sweat_smile:
Then I will study also best practices as soon as possible.

It certainly looks like you got the idea. I would suggest that instead of calling the header main.h to call it blink.h (updating the include guard, etc, naturally), since it seems to relate to the blink.cpp code, rather than the main.cpp code.

The people who learned C first and then Arduino don’t understand what the Arduino-> PlatformIO migrants are going through.

Arduino doesn’t teach us what they’re doing behind the curtain, what you learned in class and from talking to other programmer peers. I’m trying to learn C well enough to use ESP-IDF, but I’m learning along the way that there are a lot of things I don’t understand- things I didn’t know were things. Holes have opened under my feet, along a path I’ve walked a thousand times.

I support the posters who want dedicated tutorials for the Arduino literate. I’m reading and using online reference guides, and I’m learning, but there are too many unknown unknowns to make this a graceful transition- and this is the transition EVERYONE is going to have to make. You reach the edges of Arduino.

What I really want is someone starting with a moderately complex .ino file- something with a few functions beyond loop and setup and some includes and definitions, and convert it to a proper .cpp source file. How do you rewrite this stuff, so you don’t use all the Arduino build-ins?

Please show me how to declare an OLED for example, because what I’m doing doesn’t work.

4 Likes

I have no idea if this will prove useful to those hoping for an example of converting an Arduino Sketch to PlatformIO, but maybe it will help Arduino converts to understand why things are not as simple as at first expected.

The Arduino system does a “shed load” (technical term) of stuff in the background. I have a book on the internals of the Arduino Software - which I’m not going to mention here - if you need further information.

The IDE will open all *.ino, *.cpp, *.h and *.c files that it finds in the sketch directory. These files will be opened on separate tabs in the editor. When you compile a sketch the following happens:

Preprocessing:

A temporary directory is created, on the sketch’s very first compilation, in the Operating System’s “temp” area. This is /tmp on Linux (and MacOS?) or something like c:\users\YOUR_NAME\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_SOME_NUMBER on Windows. From here on in, I shall refer to this location as $TMP.

If the sketch has a number of *.ino files, all of them are concatenated into a single file with the extension .ino.cpp in the $TMP/Sketch subdirectory. The first file added to this working file, is the main *.ino - the one with the same name as the sketch’s own directory.

The remainder of the *.ino files are appended to the working file in alphabetical order.

If the sketch only has one *.ino file, it is processed as above, by itself, into the working file.

At the top of the working file, #include <Arduino.h> is added, if it was not already found in the original sketch.

Any libraries used by the sketch are detected and the include path for those are discovered. This is done by running a dummy compilation, discarding the output - to the nul device on Windows or the /dev/null on Linux - but processing any relevant error messages.

Function prototypes are generated for all the functions found in the working *.ino.cpp file. Occasionally, this is not possible for all functions, so the programmer has to add one, manually, to the main sketch *.ino file, to get it to compile.

The *.ino.cpp working file is preprocessed to add various #line and #file directives so that any subsequent error messages will reference the correct source file and line numbers within, rather than referencing the full, working *.ino.cpp file’s name and line numbers.

The Arduino Preprocessor carries out all these actions and it can be found on GitHub at GitHub - arduino/arduino-preprocessor: Parses an Arduino Sketch and converts it into valid C++ source code - if you are interested.

Build:

After preprocessing, the Arduino Build tool takes over. It too lives on GitHub at GitHub - arduino/arduino-builder: A command line tool for compiling Arduino sketches - again, if you are interested.

The build process starts by compiling the working *.ino.cpp file in the temporary directory created earlier. This is compiled into an object file named *.ino.cpp.o and stored/written to the $TMP/Sketch subdirectory.

Any additional *.c and *.cpp files in the Sketch’s original directory are now compiled into separate object files in the $TMP/Sketch subdirectory. This may not be necessary if the various source files have not been edited since the previous compilation. The existing *.o files will be reused.

All the libraries used will be compiled into multiple *.o files and written to the $TMP/Libraries subdirectory.

Next up, all the Arduino “core” files are compiled as *.o files and written to the $TMP/core subdirectory. One of the files compiled here is the one which supplies the main() function. You never need to write a main() function in a sketch.

After compiling all the source files, library files and core files, a static library, core.a, is built in the $TMP/core subdirectory.

An ELF format file is then created by linking all the *.o files in $TMP/Sketch and $TMP/Libraries with the core.a static library created above. This file is written to the $TMP directory and named as SKETCH_NAME.ino.elf.

SKETCH_NAME.ino.elf is then processed to create SKETCH_NAME.ino.eep which holds any data defined as being required to be written to the AVR’s EEPROM. Sadly, the Arduino IDE cannot (yet) upload *.eep files to the EEPROM, so this is a bit of a waste of time.

SKETCH_NAME.ino.elf is then processed again to create SKETCH_NAME.ino.hex which is, finally, the code that will be uploaded to the Arduino.

So, there you have it. A lot of work goes on in the background and is hidden from you by the Arduino system. Real C++ programs require you to declare function prototypes before use so that the compiler can set up the correct stack frames to call and return from same, and to return the correct data types from non void functions. The Arduino attempts to do all this for you so that you don’t have to worry about it.

Edited to correct abysmal spelling!

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

7 Likes

I contributed earlier, but I now have a more comprehensive understanding of the Arduino-PIO transition. Some of it is ‘how we do stuff here’ stuff you just have get yelled at you by the nerds.

None of the differences are tangible to the Arduino newcomer. I plan to post something that I’d like to end up being that Arduino Migration Tutorial mentioned in the first lines of this post. Please look for it. I’m going to actually write it offline, proofread it and then share it. And hopefully we can destroy all the errors before anyone sees it. Just you and me, right?

Have a great weekend.

1 Like

I’ve been working on this, on and off, for a while. Other things got in the way but it’s now done. This is a small (contrived) tutorial on how to make a multi-file Arduino Sketch into a proper C+ project. Enjoy.

The Arduino Sketch

The multi-file Arduino sketch I’m using for this brief(!) tutorial is made up of a number of different *.ino files. These are, somewhat contrived, but it’s a small example. The sketch is called Blink_multifile and the files are:

• Blink_multifile.ino
  • loop.ino
  • setupPins.ino
  • flashLED.ino

The main file, Blink_multifile.ino is as simple as this:

void setup() {
  setupPins();
  flashLED(4, 125);
}

As you can see, there’s nothing here except the setup() function which calls out to the other functions required to do all the setting up for the sketch.

The loop() function is found in loop.ino surprisingly enough, which looks like this:

void loop() {
    flashLED(1, 1000);
}

As you can see, there’s not much going on here either. The loop function calls out to yet another function, flashLED() passing two parameters. The flashLED() function lives in flashLED.ino which has the following code in it:

void flashLED(byte flashCount, int delayMS) {
    if (!flashCount) 
        return;

for (byte x = 0; x < flashCount; x++) {
        delay(delayMS);
        delay(delayMS);
    }
}

That’s looking better, we can see that the first parameter is the number of times a flash is required, while the second is the delay, in microseconds, between flashes. All that’s left now is the setupPins() function which lives in setupPins.ino:

void setupPins() {
}

That’s all there is to it. The built in LED is defined as an OUTPUT pin.

The sketch can be compiled and will run as the usual “Blink” example, with the addition of 4 quick flashes executed from the setup() function.

The next step is to import this sketch, unchanged, into PlatformIO.

Conversion to PlatformIO

In VSCode, if the “PlatformIO Home” page is not open, click on the “alien” head on the far left toolbar to open the PlatformIO Quick Access task list. Then, under “PIO Home” in the list of available tasks, select “open” and the PlatformIO Home page will open.

Import Arduino Project

On the PlatformIO Home page, click the “Import Arduino Project” button. Select a board, in my case it was an Uno, so I typed “uno” (without quotes) and it listed Arduino Uno.

Now navigate to where the Blink_multifile sketch lives and click the “Import” button. Wait a second or two and the sketch will be imported. It will be given a name similar to yymmdd-hhmmss-uno. You can save it with a different name later. The project will have been imported into your default location for PlatformIO projects.

If you open the src folder, you will see all the same files from the original sketch, with the same names.

Build Arduino Project

Click the normal toolbutton to build a sketch. It’s a “tick” or “checkmark” depending on where you live in the world. The sketch will compile quite happily and without any errors. You can upload it now to test the conversion, but we know it works already, so I’m not going to!

Convert ino files to cpp

This is easy! In VSCode, on the left side, open the file explorer if it isn’t already open. Right click each file in turn and rename it from *.ino to *.cpp. Ignore the prompt from VSCode that it doesn’t understand ino files and the offer to load an extension to make your life easier. It won’t!

That was easy, run another build to see if we have broken anything…

> Executing task in folder 201003-171408-uno: platformio run --target upload <

Processing uno (platform: atmelavr; board: uno; framework: arduino)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Verbose mode can be enabled via `-v, --verbose` option
CONFIGURATION: https://docs.platformio.org/page/boards/atmelavr/uno.html
PLATFORM: Atmel AVR (2.2.0) > Arduino Uno
HARDWARE: ATMEGA328P 16MHz, 2KB RAM, 31.50KB Flash
DEBUG: Current (simavr) On-board (simavr)
PACKAGES: 
 - framework-arduino-avr 5.0.0 
 - tool-avrdude 1.60300.200527 (6.3.0) 
 - toolchain-atmelavr 1.50400.190710 (5.4.0)
LDF: Library Dependency Finder -> http://bit.ly/configure-pio-ldf
LDF Modes: Finder ~ chain, Compatibility ~ soft
Found 5 compatible libraries
Scanning dependencies...
No dependencies
Building in release mode
Compiling .pio/build/uno/src/Blink_multifile.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/src/flashLED.cpp.o
src/Blink_multifile.cpp: In function 'void setup()':
src/Blink_multifile.cpp:2:13: error: 'setupPins' was not declared in this scope
   setupPins();
             ^
src/Blink_multifile.cpp:3:18: error: 'flashLED' was not declared in this scope
   flashLED(4, 125);
                  ^
*** [.pio/build/uno/src/Blink_multifile.cpp.o] Error 1
src/flashLED.cpp:1:15: error: variable or field 'flashLED' declared void
               ^
src/flashLED.cpp:1:15: error: 'byte' was not declared in this scope
src/flashLED.cpp:1:32: error: expected primary-expression before 'int'
                                ^
*** [.pio/build/uno/src/flashLED.cpp.o] Error 1
====================================================== [FAILED] Took 0.73 seconds ======================================================
The terminal process "platformio 'run', '--target', 'upload'" terminated with exit code: 1.

That was unexpected, what happened? The Arduino happened, that’s what! Double click on Blink_multifile.cpp to open it in the editor and add these lines to the very top:

void setup();
void loop();
void setupPins();
void flashLED(byte flashCount, int delayMS);

Save and build again.

src/Blink_multifile.cpp:4:15: error: variable or field 'flashLED' declared void
               ^
src/Blink_multifile.cpp:4:15: error: 'byte' was not declared in this scope
src/Blink_multifile.cpp:4:32: error: expected primary-expression before 'int'
                                ^
src/Blink_multifile.cpp: In function 'void setup()':
src/Blink_multifile.cpp:8:18: error: 'flashLED' was not declared in this scope
   flashLED(4, 125);
                  ^
*** [.pio/build/uno/src/Blink_multifile.cpp.o] Error 1
src/flashLED.cpp:1:15: error: variable or field 'flashLED' declared void
               ^
src/flashLED.cpp:1:15: error: 'byte' was not declared in this scope
src/flashLED.cpp:1:32: error: expected primary-expression before 'int'
                                ^

Still a few errors. The first is in the file flashLED.cpp – the listed file name is flashLED.cpp.o but that’s the name of the object file that the compiler is creating. The source file is the given filename without the .o on the end.

Double-click on flashLED.cpp to open it in the editor.

The error is indicating that byte is not known. This is true, in C++ there isn’t a standard data type known as byte, it’s an Arduino thing. Add this line to the top of flashLED.cpp:

#include <stdint.h>

The angle brackets are required as this file is supplied with the compiler, and is a “system” header file.

Change the function header to the following:

void flashLED(int8_t flashCount, int delayMS)

We have replaced byte which is an 8 bit signed data type, with int8_t which is another, standard, 8 bit signed data type.

Edit Blink_multifile.cpp and make the same changes, add the #include and change the declaration of flashLED() to match the change above.

Save the file before running another build. We still have errors, the first of which is:

src/flashLED.cpp: In function 'void flashLED(int8_t, int)':
src/flashLED.cpp:7:10: error: 'byte' was not declared in this scope
     for (byte x = 0; x < flashCount; x++) {

Silly me, I forgot to check for more bytes. Edit flashLED.cpp again, and change byte to int8_t as before, then build again. More errors:

Compiling .pio/build/uno/src/loop.cpp.o
src/flashLED.cpp: In function 'void flashLED(int8_t, int)':
src/flashLED.cpp:8:22: error: 'LED_BUILTIN' was not declared in this scope
                      ^
src/flashLED.cpp:8:35: error: 'HIGH' was not declared in this scope
                                   ^
src/flashLED.cpp:8:39: error: 'digitalWrite' was not declared in this scope
                                       ^
src/flashLED.cpp:9:22: error: 'delay' was not declared in this scope
         delay(delayMS);
                      ^
src/flashLED.cpp:10:35: error: 'LOW' was not declared in this scope

Now it looks like the compiler has forgotten what all the Arduino Language is about. Why is this?

One of the things that the Arduino IDE and Language hide from you is the fact that certain header files need to be #include'd. One of these is Arduino.h, so add the following line to flashLED.cpp just below the existing #include <stdint.h> line.

#include "Arduino.h"

This time, the file name is in double quotes as this is not a compiler supplied system header. This time, we appear to have a single error:

src/loop.cpp: In function 'void loop()':
src/loop.cpp:2:21: error: 'flashLED' was not declared in this scope
     flashLED(1, 1000);
                     ^
*** [.pio/build/uno/src/loop.cpp.o] Error 1

And it’s in loop.cpp this time. What’s up? Double-click to open the file.

The problem is, while we told Blink_multifile.cpp about all the other functions, we didn’t tell the other files about the functions. We need a new file, lets call it functions.h. Click the VSCode button for a new file (or File -> New File).

When the new empty tab appears, cut the #include <stdint.h> and the list of functions from Blink_multifile.cpp and paste them into the new tab. Save the file as functions.h in the PlatformIO project’s include folder, not in the original Arduino project. (Ask me how I know!)

Now edit `functions.h`` to make it look as follows:

#ifndef FUNCTIONS_H
#define FUNCTIONS_H

#include <stdint.h>
#include "Arduino.h"

void setup();
void loop();
void setupPins();
void flashLED(int8_t flashCount, int delayMS);

#endif  // FUNCTIONS_H

We’ve added the stdint.h and Arduino.h headers into this file too, for convenience.

Blink_multifile.cpp should be edited to look like this:

#include "functions.h"

void setup() {
  setupPins();
  flashLED(4, 125);
}

Loop.cpp also needs to be edited to resemble this:

#include "functions.h"

void loop() {
    flashLED(1, 1000);
}

Try another build. Let’s see how we are doing… still errors.

Building in release mode
src/flashLED.cpp:3:15: error: variable or field 'flashLED' declared void
 void flashLED(int8_t flashCount, int delayMS) {
               ^
src/flashLED.cpp:3:15: error: 'int8_t' was not declared in this scope
src/flashLED.cpp:3:34: error: expected primary-expression before 'int'
                                  ^

It seems I forgot to tell flashLED.cpp about the stdint.h header file. As I’ve added that into functions.h, we might as well include that. Edit flashLED.h to resemble the following:

#include "functions.h"

if (!flashCount) 
        return;

for (int8_t x = 0; x < flashCount; x++) {
        delay(delayMS);
        delay(delayMS);
    }
}

Another build is called for I think. More errors, sigh!

Building in release mode
Compiling .pio/build/uno/src/setupPins.cpp.o
Archiving .pio/build/uno/libFrameworkArduinoVariant.a
src/setupPins.cpp: In function 'void setupPins()':
src/setupPins.cpp:2:13: error: 'LED_BUILTIN' was not declared in this scope
             ^
src/setupPins.cpp:2:26: error: 'OUTPUT' was not declared in this scope
                          ^
src/setupPins.cpp:2:32: error: 'pinMode' was not declared in this scope
                                ^
*** [.pio/build/uno/src/setupPins.cpp.o] Error 1

It looks like the setupPins() function has forgotten what LED_BUILTIN and OUTPUT are for. We need to add in the Arduino.h header in this file, to tell it. as we added that header file to our functions.h file, we can #include that here too. Edit setupPins.cpp and add the following line to the top:

#include "functions.h"

I wonder what will happen if we build it again?

Processing uno (platform: atmelavr; board: uno; framework: arduino)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Verbose mode can be enabled via `-v, --verbose` option
CONFIGURATION: https://docs.platformio.org/page/boards/atmelavr/uno.html
PLATFORM: Atmel AVR (2.2.0) > Arduino Uno
HARDWARE: ATMEGA328P 16MHz, 2KB RAM, 31.50KB Flash
DEBUG: Current (simavr) On-board (simavr)
PACKAGES: 
 - framework-arduino-avr 5.0.0 
 - toolchain-atmelavr 1.50400.190710 (5.4.0)
LDF: Library Dependency Finder -> http://bit.ly/configure-pio-ldf
LDF Modes: Finder ~ chain, Compatibility ~ soft
Found 5 compatible libraries
Scanning dependencies...
No dependencies
Building in release mode
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/CDC.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/HardwareSerial.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/HardwareSerial0.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/HardwareSerial1.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/HardwareSerial2.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/HardwareSerial3.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/IPAddress.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/PluggableUSB.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/Print.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/Stream.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/Tone.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/USBCore.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/WInterrupts.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/WMath.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/WString.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/abi.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/hooks.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/main.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/new.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/wiring.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/wiring_analog.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/wiring_digital.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/wiring_pulse.S.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/wiring_pulse.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/wiring_shift.c.o
Archiving .pio/build/uno/libFrameworkArduino.a
Indexing .pio/build/uno/libFrameworkArduino.a
Linking .pio/build/uno/firmware.elf
Building .pio/build/uno/firmware.hex
Checking size .pio/build/uno/firmware.elf
Advanced Memory Usage is available via "PlatformIO Home > Project Inspect"
RAM:   [          ]   0.4% (used 9 bytes from 2048 bytes)
Flash: [          ]   3.1% (used 1008 bytes from 32256 bytes)
===================================================== [SUCCESS] Took 2.62 seconds =====================================================

Hooray! after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, we have a build. Does it work? Try uploading, click the “->” toolbar button after plugging in your board of course. Of course it works!

Bonus - Convert to AVR C++

At this point, you can settle down and watch the LED blinking away every second if you wish, or, you can delve a little into the bowels of AVR C++. Before we head off, check this out:

RAM:   [          ]   0.4% (used 9 bytes from 2048 bytes)
Flash: [          ]   3.1% (used 1008 bytes from 32256 bytes)

The Arduino sketch used 9 bytes of Static RAM, plus 1,008 bytes of Flash RAM. It’s not a lot I admit, especially when we have 2 Kb Static RAM and 32 Kb Flash RAM to play with, but sometimes it’s too much. People with 3D printers running Marlin often have to decide which features to leave out to fit in some new feature that they absolutely must have, space is limited, even with 32 Kb to fill.

Edit the Header File

Open functions.h and change it to resemble the following:

#ifndef FUNCTIONS_H
#define FUNCTIONS_H

#include <stdint.h>

// We need this to get the ATmega328p's register and pin names.
#include "avr/io.h"

// We are no longer in Arduino land.
#define LED_BUILTIN 13

void setup();
void loop();
void setupPins();
void flashLED(int8_t flashCount, int delayMS);

#endif  // FUNCTIONS_H

You will note a serious lack of a semicolon at the end of the #define, that is correct!

Edit setupPins.cpp

The setupPins.cpp file is next for editing. Currently it looks like this:

#include "functions.h"

void setupPins() {
}

Change it to the following:

#include "functions.h"

void setupPins() {
    DDRB |= (1 << DDB5);
}

Don’t ask questions at the back, all will become clear.

Edit flashLED.cpp

It’s time to change flashLED.cpp now, it currently looks like this:

#include "functions.h"

if (!flashCount) 
        return;

for (int8_t x = 0; x < flashCount; x++) {
        delay(delayMS);
        delay(delayMS);
    }
}

It has lots of Arduino specific language there, we need to remove it all. Edit away and keep editing until it looks like this instead:

#include "functions.h"
#include "util/delay.h"

if (!flashCount) 
        return;

for (int8_t x = 0; x < (flashCount * 2); x++) {
        PINB |= (1 << PINB5);
        _delay_ms(delayMS);
    }
}

You will see that we have changed the for loop to double the supplied flashCount value. I’ll explain in a bit.

First Build

Build the new version of our sketch. I see these errors:

Building in release mode
/tmp/ccDTBT41.ltrans0.ltrans.o: In function `main':
<artificial>:(.text.startup+0x86): undefined reference to `setup'
<artificial>:(.text.startup+0x8e): undefined reference to `loop'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
*** [.pio/build/uno/firmware.elf] Error 1

So, what’s going on? Setup() and loop() are Arduino functions, and we are no longer using the Arduino framework. Well, actually, we still are, and the Arduino supplied main() function is still linked with our sketch code, and is calling both the setup() and loop() functions.

The use of the Arduino framework is defined in platformio.ini, so we need to change that file to inform PlatformIO that we no longer wish to use that framework. Edit platformio.ini file and remove the framework = arduino line. It should look like this, with all comments removed as well:

[env:uno]
platform = atmelavr
board = uno

Now we are running with the wolves and using plain AVR C++ as opposed to any framework language. Let’s do another build and see what happens:

Building in release mode
Compiling .pio/build/uno/src/Blink_multifile.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/src/flashLED.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/src/loop.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/src/setupPins.o
/home/norman/.platformio/packages/toolchain-atmelavr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/5.4.0/../../../../avr/lib/avr5/crtatmega328p.o:(.init9+0x0): undefined reference to `main'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
*** [.pio/build/uno/firmware.elf] Error 1

We took away the Arduino supplied main() function when we omitted the Arduino framework, but we didn’t replace it. We still have the setup() and loop() functions lying around, so lets now create a replacement main() function and include those as best we can.

Edit Blink_multifile.cpp.

Edit the Blink_multifile.cpp file and make it look like this:

#include "functions.h"

int main() {
    // Setup here
    setupPins();
    flashLED(4, 125);

// Loop here
    loop();
}

The old setup() function is gone, but the contents remain. The Arduino supplied loop() function gets called in a, ahem, loop, where it is called, exits, called again, exists again, over and over. The setup and breakdown of the function call is a tad excessive. In this version, we call loop() once. That means that loop() itself has to do the looping for us.

Edit loop.cpp

Edit the loop.cpp file and change it to the following:

#include "functions.h"

void loop() {
    while (1) {
        flashLED(1, 1000);
    }
}

You can see that I have added a simple while loop. I could have made this even more efficient by increasing the number of flashes in each call, but I leave that as an “exercise for the reader”! as we authors say when we feel a cop out coming on! :grin:

Final Build

Build the project again. It will compile without error. But look at the stats at the end:

RAM:   [          ]   0.0% (used 0 bytes from 2048 bytes)
Flash: [          ]   0.6% (used 202 bytes from 32256 bytes)

We have used zero bytes of Static RAM and only 202 bytes of Flash Ram. That’s down from 9 Static RAM bytes and 1,008 Flash Ram bytes. Sometimes this makes the difference between getting a sketch to fit your board, or not.

Ok, I could get it even smaller by merging loop.cpp and flashLED.cpp into the main loop in the Blink_multifile.cpp but that’s another exercise for the user!

What Did I do?

Look away now if you don’t want the technical details…

The Arduino Function pinMode() tells a single pin whether it is to be an input or an output pin. Input pins can have the options of enabling the pullup resistors. PinMode() does a lot of additional work in the background to disconnect certain pins from timers (for PWM) and so on. There is a bit of error checking going on as well.

In the end, pinMode() boils down to setting a single bit in one of the ATmega328’s “DDR” registers. The builtin LED pin, D13, is actually the Atmega328p’s pin 5 on the PORTB port. Each GPIO pin on the microcontroller has one of each of these registers hidden away internally:

• A data Direction Register (DDRx);
  • A PORTx register for output pins;
  • A PINx register for input pins.

To make a pin an output, we set its corresponding bit in the DDR register for it’s PORT. In the case of D13, we are pin 5 on PORTB, so bit 5 in DDRB needs to be set to a 1. That is all that setupPins() now has to do.

There are two ways to flash an LED attached to an output pin. The first is to set the correct bit in the PORT register to a 1, wait a little while, then clear the same bit back to a 0 and delay again. That’s too much like hard work but would resemble this for D13:

PORTB |= (1 << PORTB5);
_delay_ms(1000);
PORTB &= ~(1 << PORTB5);
_delay_ms(1000);

The first command ORs a 1 into the correct bit position, bit 5 in the PORTB register. Then we delay, then we AND a 0 into the same bit position. then another delay. These two operations, and delays, flash the LED once.

As I said, too much work. The designers of the ATmega328p decided that as the PIN register is not needed for an output pin, it can be used for other things. If you write a 1 to the correct bit in the pin’s PIN register, the pin will toggle. If it was on, it will be off and if it was off, it will turn on. To flash an LED, you need to turn it on then off, so this is what flashLED() now does, and is why I had to double the flashCount value. To get one flash of the LED, we need two toggles of the pin.

The code:

PINB |= (1 << PINB5);
_delay_ms(delayMS);

toggles the pin and delays a bit. If we do this twice we get one flash. Job done.

The Arduino function digitalWrite() takes a lot of instructions to do error checking and so on, before it gets down to the nitty gritty of turning the pin on or off. The above PINB |= (1 << PINB5) instruction does it in one step. This vastly reduces the size of your compiled sketch and allows more code to be fitted into the board.

The End.

Just before I go, this version of Blink_multifile.cpp is actually all you need. The other files can be deleted.

#include "util/delay.h"

int main() {
    // Setup here
    DDRB |= (1 << DDB5);

for (uint8_t x = 0; x < 8; x++) {
        PINB |= (1 << PINB5);
        _delay_ms(125);
    }

// Loop here
    while (1) {
        PINB |= (1 << PINB5);
        _delay_ms(1000);
    }
}

This version compiles down to:

RAM:   [          ]   0.0% (used 0 bytes from 2048 bytes)
Flash: [          ]   0.6% (used 182 bytes from 32256 bytes)

We are now down to 182 bytes of Flash RAM from 202. Not bad considering is still does what the original sketch did.

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

14 Likes

@normandunbar — great job in taking the time to capture these very informative posts! I am certain that they will prove to be an extremely helpful reference for those transitioning their projects between development environments and eager to understand the mechanics of the Arduino build process.

3 Likes

@normandunbar thank you so much for taking the time and effort to write this up. I read every word, it makes sense and I understand the reasoning as you explained it. Sooooo helpful. Thank You :slight_smile:

1 Like

For much much more detail on the Arduino, see a posting I made about a book - it’s in the “projects made with PlatformIO” forum. I don’t refer to it very often, I’m shy! :wink:

Cheers,
Norm.

1 Like

@normandunbar - thank you so much for this from another Scotsman! I’m going to read and re-read this a few times. I have an Arduino project compiling (somehow) to 280K across 20+ files and it was a miracle keeping compilation stable. I will never do that again and now I think I know how.

1 Like

Did you mean to type 280K? You’ll have to go some to reduce that to 32K for an Atmega328 microcontroller!

Cheers,
Norm.

I walked away for a few weeks in frustration, so I didn’t see your recent primer. I look forward to reading it.
But this- this is the key to the highway:
Real C++ programs require you to declare function prototypes before use so that the compiler can set up the correct stack frames to call and return from same, and to return the correct data types from non void functions.

“Function prototypes” is very, very important. Thank you very much.

Thank you NormanDunbar for the great explanation, I appreciate your work!!!
Now I have come to the following problem. Unable to add an object with multiple files.
The object I want to use across multiple files is bounce. How could I fix this.

Here is my code.

Header.h

#ifndef HEADER_H
#define HEADER_H

#include <Arduino.h>
#include "Bounce2.h"

#define BUTTONB_PIN 2
#define LED_PIN 6

extern int ledState;
Bounce buttons;

void setup();
void loop();
void program();

#endif

loop.cpp

#include "header.h"

void loop()
{
  program();
}

program.cpp

#include "header.h"

int ledState;

void program()
{
    bool needToToggleLed = false;

// Update the Bounce instance :
        buttons.update();

// If it fell, flag the need to toggle the LED
        if ( buttons.fell() )
        needToToggleLed = true;

// if a LED toggle has been flagged :
    if ( needToToggleLed )
    {
        // Toggle LED state :
        ledState = !ledState;
        digitalWrite(LED_PIN, ledState);
    }
}

setup.cpp

#include "header.h"

void setup()

{
  //setup the bounce instance for the current button
  buttons.attach(BUTTONB_PIN, INPUT_PULLUP );   
  buttons.interval(25);                                     // interval in ms

pinMode(LED_PIN, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(LED_PIN, ledState);
}

I put Bounce buttons; in the header.h file. This gives my an compile error:

.pio\build\nanoatmega328\src\program.cpp.o (symbol from plugin): In function `ledState':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `buttons'
.pio\build\nanoatmega328\src\loop.cpp.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
.pio\build\nanoatmega328\src\setup.cpp.o (symbol from plugin): In function `setup':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `buttons'
.pio\build\nanoatmega328\src\loop.cpp.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
*** [.pio\build\nanoatmega328\firmware.elf] Error 1
1 Like

You did it correctly with the first variable and then did the second variable wrong.

extern Bounce buttons;

in the header file, and Bounce buttons; in one cpp file. Choose whichever.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response!

Have it working now!

1 Like

I have learned quite a bit reading through this. Thanks for all the contributions.
A question - I have a setup a multiple source file project consisting of

main.cpp
sensors.cpp
sensors.h

main.cpp contains setup() and loop()

sensors.cpp contains functions for getting data from sensors
I include sensors.h in the main.cpp

However, I am confused as to where I put the include for Arduino.h? If I put it in main.cpp but not sensors.h the program will not compile. However, if I put it in sensors.h but not in main.cpp it all works correctly.

My question is why? and should/could I put it in both places.

Here is some of my code for clarity:
sensors.h

/***************************************************************************
 * Header file for functions used for connecting to the bme680 module and 
 * water level sensor
 ***************************************************************************/

#ifndef SENSORS_H
#define SENSORS_H

/* libraries */
#include <RH_RF95.h>                            /* Radiohead RFM95 Radio lib - needed for RH_RF95_MAX_MESSAGE_LEN */
#include <Wire.h>                               /* I2C interface library */
#include <Adafruit_Sensor.h>                    /* Adafruit Unified Sensor library */
#include <Adafruit_BME680.h>                    /* Adafruit BME680 library */

/* sensor paramaters */
#define LEVEL_PIN 13                            /* Digital GPIO pin to read liquid level state */
#define BME680_I2C_ADDRESS 0x77                 /* define device I2C address: 0x76 or 0x77 (0x77 is library default address) */
#define ALTITUDE 85.0                           /* height abover sea level for pressure calculation */

/* defines */
#define MAXTRIES 20                             /* maximum connection attempts for wifi and mqtt */

/* function declaration (prototype) */
bool setup_bme680();                                                /* setup bme680 sensor */
bool setup_levelsensor();                                           /* setup water level sensor */
bool getdatafromsensors(char message[RH_RF95_MAX_MESSAGE_LEN - 1]); /* grab data from the sensors */

/* variables */
extern Adafruit_BME680 bme;         /* bmp280 object using I2C - declared in sensors.c */

#endif  /* SENSORS_H */

main.cpp

/***************************************************************************
 * This is a program to send temperature, humidity and pressure data 
 * from an ESP32-S 
 * based on rf95_reliable_datagram_client.pde which uses a simple addressed,
 * reliable messaging client with the RHReliableDatagram class, using the 
 * RH_RF95 driver to control a RF95 radio.
 ***************************************************************************/

/* libraries */
#include <stdint.h>

/* user defined headers */
#include "rfm95.h"                              /* Radiohead RFM95 functions */
#include "sensors.h"                            /* BME680 and water level sensor functions */
#include "esp32sleep.h"                         /* ESP32 sleep functions */
#include "Arduino.h"                            /* Arduino library */

/* defines */
#define uS_TO_S_FACTOR 1000000ULL               /* Conversion factor for micro seconds to seconds */
#define TIME_TO_SLEEP 300                       /* Time ESP32 will go to sleep (in seconds) */
#define DEBUG 1                                 /* set debug mode to output information to serial port */

/* Global variable declaration */
RTC_DATA_ATTR int bootCount = 0;                /* The number of times that the system has rebooted - stored in writeable RTC memory */

Put in in sensors.h because, I suspect, the Adafruit headers might rely on it, assuming they don’t actually include it themselves. Because main.cpp includes sensors.h, it will still see the benefits.

Should you: it’s not necessary – as you have found – in this case.

Could you: of course! No harm done, if you do other than a tiny delay to open and close the file.

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

Thank you,

So it is okay to potentially include Arduino.h more than once? I am rather new to cpp (brought up on fortran many years ago and been using a python more recently).

I have made a header file called header.h which contains:

#ifndef HEADERS_H
    #define HEADERS_H
    #include <stdint.h>
    #include <Arduino.h>                            /* Arduino library */
#endif  /* HEADERS_H */

and have included that in all the header for my main program (main.cpp) sensor functions header file (sensors.h). As I understand this would only include the libraries one time as the preprocessor looks at the files?

I realised with more reading that the directory structure in platformio allows you to move user defined libraries to the libs directory and the headers.h file to the includes directory. However, as far as I can tell if I now try to include the headers.h in the library is cannot find it.

Here is a diagram showing what I mean.

|--include
|  |
|  |--headers.h
|--lib
|  |
|  |--sensors
|  |  |- sensors.cpp
|  |  |- sensors.h (this includes a reference to headers.h)
|  |
|
|--src
   |- main.cpp

Would the most robust option to use a relative directory to include headers.h in the sensors.h file or simply include a second reference to the Arduino.h library in sensors.h.

I am just trying to get things sorted in my head before I make a mess which is difficult to debug later on.

Thank you in advance,

Martyn