PlatformIO Community

STM32 platform conflictions

I recieve errors on the Bluepill C108 STM32 board with the STM32RTC libary for the internal real time clock. It throws many errors regarding “tm” structs that have incomplete types.

I am unsure if this is because the libary on its github page states it needs the arduino core stm32 package by stm32duino, or is it just a libary error. Right now it says it only needs the ST STM32 platform which I have and works fine. But when I use the libary it doesnt compile.

Thanks for any and all responces!

Share your code and platfromio.ini please. It might also just be that the board you use uses the Maple core by default, which makes it incompatible with the library.

Platformio.ini

[env:bluepill_f103c8]
platform = ststm32
board = bluepill_f103c8
framework = arduino

Code itself:

#include <Arduino.h>
 #include <STM32RTC.h>

STM32RTC& rtc = STM32RTC::getInstance();

void initTime() {
  rtc.begin();
  //DCF.Start();
  rtc.setTime(14, 0, 0);
  rtc.setDate(23,4,19);
}

void smallDisplay() {
  uint8_t hour, minute, second;
  hour = rtc.getHours();
  minute = rtc.getMinutes();
  second = rtc.getSeconds();
  display.showNumberDec(second);
}

void setup()
{
  // put your setup code here, to run once:
  display.setBrightness(7);
  initTime();
}

void loop()
{
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
  //DCFtime = DCF.getTime(); // Check if new DCF77 time is available
  //indexA.setIndex(second());
  //indexA.execute();
  smallDisplay();
}

Its basically just like the demos from the libary the code should definetly work but yeah I think you might be right about the wrong board choice in platformio.ini. But I have no idea which other board to select, at first I used a generic STM32 with the right microprocessor the bluepill has but that didnt allow me to use all the pins so I use this one. Since im able to use all the pins with a correct order I assumed it might be the right board but ill give some maple boards a try.

Thanks.

Your project compiles fine for me…

[env:bluepill_f103c8]
platform = ststm32
board = bluepill_f103c8
framework = arduino
lib_deps = STM32duino RTC

and your code with calls to the “display” commentend out:

Memory Usage -> http://bit.ly/pio-memory-usage
DATA:    [          ]   4.4% (used 892 bytes from 20480 bytes)
PROGRAM: [==        ]  17.4% (used 11432 bytes from 65536 bytes)
 [SUCCESS] Took 7.54 seconds 

What is the exact error message of the compiler? Are you up-to-date on the platforms? (pio platform update)

Definetly up to date I check that often, But thanks a lot for trying it, this proves the problem is local, ill try to reinstall the libary.

The compiler errors goes like this:

just lots and lots of these:
aggregate ‘tm tm’ has incomplete type and cannot be defined
invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct tm’

This is odd, I tried to reinstall the lib, clean the project files, rebuild the intellisense, nothing worked, still the same error.

Does pio platform update update your ststm32 platform? Which OS are you using? You can also try deleting your <home folder>/.platformio/packages/toolchain-gccarmnoneeabi, framework-arduinoststm32 and platforms/ststm32 folders so that they get freshly reinstalled.

It says it is up to date with all the frameworks, I am running windows 10. I will try to do the fresh reinstall in your way, thanks!

It didnt work.

I did have a extra framework-arduinoststm32-maple folder which I deleted and this one didnt download back. Other projects work without it and dont seem to miss it.

Can you do a

pio run -t clean && pio run > build_log.txt 2>&1

in a console and upload the result to pastebin.com. (You won’t see any output until the command is completed)

It did wait till i get another line confirming the command is complete but there is no output. I searched for the build_log.txt and got none too. Should i be in a project directory, or do this over the windows console instead of the VScode one

just saw the new command ill give it a go

Should be executed in a PIO terminal in VSCode inside the project’s directory (http://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/ide/vscode.html#platformio-toolbar)

At line:1 char:18
+ pio run -t clean && pio run > build_log.txt 2>&1
+                  ~~
The token '&&' is not a valid statement separator in this version.
    + CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidEndOfLine

Oh it’s a powershell? Then execute the two commands seperately.

Yeah just realized theyre separate commands, is platformio using the default terminal program? I have powershell set as default for the convenience of code completion. If I were to change the default to cmd would platformio use cmd?

Nah doesn’t change anything in what shell pio is invoked, must work either way.

Succesful clean ^

Done cleaning
== [SUCCESS] Took 1.40 seconds ==
PS C:\Users\Ivan\Documents\PlatformIO\Projects\mechanical_clock> pio run > build_log.txt 2>&1
PS C:\Users\Ivan\Documents\PlatformIO\Projects\mechanical_clock>

Thats all the output im recieving, it does take some time so it is doing something.

So build_log.txt is empty or not existent?

Might also try

& pio run 2>&1 >> build_log.txt

Still no resoult, and non existent.

When I run pio run > build_log.txt only, I recieve the same error messages as in compile. Is that what youd want or is it supposed to do something else?