SKR mini E3 V1.2 - firmware.bin created using PlatformIO fails to flash

BTT SKR MINI E3 V1.2 Board - Ender 3 - Windows 10 64 bit pc

Have attempted to flash firmware without success if I BUILD the firmware.bin file from various BTT or Marlin2.0 downloads from github - (including the one by Ivan Kravets).
Am able to COMPILE SUCCESSFULLY but cannot flash the firmware.bin file generated USING my pc - (VSCode/PlatformIO)
Insert sd card - power up - Red leds flash - blank screen on printer -
A firmware.cur file is written to the sd card but is apparently corrupted because it cannot be deleted from sd card - must reformat card to erase it
However, if I use a downloaded (PRE-COMPILED) firmware.bin file from github, then the flash is SUCCESSFUL! And a good firmware.cur file is produced.
Updated to the latest PlatformIO release but this makes no difference -
Read that this problem might be resolved by downgrading to an earlier release (<4.0) of PlatformIO but have been unable to find out how to do this.
Have spent many, many hours trying to research this problem - it seems that many others are experiencing the same issue -
(NOTE: Before “upgrading” to SKR MINI E3 Board was able to successfully compile and flash Marlin 2.0.X to the stock Creality Ender 3 Board using the VS Code/PlatformIO installation on my pc)
Would very much appreciate any help someone may be able to provide -
Thank you

Link to the exact repository you are using and your platformio.ini modifications? I do know of several PRs into marlin from the PlatformIO team (Pull requests · MarlinFirmware/Marlin · GitHub) for fixing their usage of the build-system internals (e.g. wrong linker file etc), so maybe it’s related.

2 Likes

Please provide a direct link to repository/source code which you use. Also, we will need a name of build environment ([env:***]).

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
In attempting to provide the info you requested, I decided to start from beginning - since I had tried so many repositories in the past, I had no confidence I could supply accurate info for you. Therefore, I downloaded the Marlin 2.0.3 firmware from (Download | Marlin Firmware) and the configuration file as well. From PlatformIO I was able to compile a firmware,bin file as before but this time I was also able to successfully flash it to the BTT SKR mini E3 V1.2 board on an Ender 3. Seems that I must have been doing something incorrectly but unfortunately I don’t know why I previously was having the problem described.
Thank you for your timely communication and prompting a resolution.

2 Likes

I posted here detailed instruction

1 Like