Pre-installing tools required by an environment

Hi!
My question is similar to this one: I want to preinstall some packages to my PIO environment, so I can run the containers offline.

I was able to install some packages with: pio platform install espressif32 --with-package framework-arduinoespressif32 --with-package tool-esptoolpy.
However, pio platform install espressif32 --with-package tool-cppcheck doesn’t work.

I guess I could install them from their git repos, but I’m not sure it would be the same as the automatic install that happens with pio run.
How to see what’s going under the hood of the package manager when I run pio run?

All code for the pio tool is open osurce at GitHub - platformio/platformio-core: Your Gateway to Embedded Software Development Excellence 👽

Try opening an issue at the core to install this special package. Does it not get installed though if you run something like pio check --skip-packages in the project directory?

Hi!

All code for the pio tool is open osurce at GitHub - platformio/platformio-core: PlatformIO is a professional collaborative platform for embedded

Yep, it’s open source. I was just hoping I could use something already implemented, like pio run -vv (for verbose verbose) before diving into the code and create this parameter myself, (supposing I will be able to do so).

Does it not get installed though if you run something like pio check --skip-packages in the project directory?

If I copy the project platformio.ini file in the current dir and execute this command, the packages are indeed installed. It sounds as a viable workaround, but it is definitely a workaround, because I have to cheat the tool and I still have no idea where the packages are coming from.

Then I’d recommend the way of opening an issue to get the possibility of preinstalling that tool.

Right!
Just to follow netiquette, I’ll take a look at the current open feature request and enhancements in the github project then I’ll follow your suggestion, @maxgerhardt .

Thank you!