PackageManager is unable to install tool

Hi,

I am using PlatformIO with VScode and I setup a new project for my brand new microcontroller (STM32L152RET6).
I created a main.cpp file and added a few lines in order to let the led blink. So no dependencies. I am including the “mbed.h” file.

First VSCode says that the mbed.h is not found, but I don’t know if this is important.
I can build the project, but when I am trying to upload it to the device then the following error occured:
> Executing task: platformio.exe run --target upload <

[09/30/17 17:18:33] Processing nucleo_l152re (platform: ststm32; board: nucleo_l152re; framework: mbed)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PackageManager: Installing tool-stm32duino @ ~1.0.0
Downloading  [------------------------------------]    0%
Please manually remove file `C:\Users\phoef\.platformio\packages\_tmp_installing-rqsuac-package\tool-stm32duino-windows-1.0.0.tar.gz`
Warning! Package Mirror: [Error 32] Der Prozess kann nicht auf die Datei zugreifen, da sie von einem anderen Prozess verwendet wird: 'C:\\Users\\phoef\\.platformio\\packages\\_tmp_installing-rqsuac-package\\tool-stm32duino-w
indows-1.0.0.tar.gz'
Looking for other mirror...
Downloading  [------------------------------------]    0%
Please manually remove file `C:\Users\phoef\.platformio\packages\_tmp_installing-dkggfn-package\tool-stm32duino-windows-1.0.0.tar.gz`
Warning! Package Mirror: [Error 32] Der Prozess kann nicht auf die Datei zugreifen, da sie von einem anderen Prozess verwendet wird: 'C:\\Users\\phoef\\.platformio\\packages\\_tmp_installing-dkggfn-package\\tool-stm32duino-w
indows-1.0.0.tar.gz'
Error: Could not install 'tool-stm32duino' with version requirements '~1.0.0' for your system 'windows_x86'.
If you use Antivirus, it can block PlatformIO Package Manager. Try to disable it for a while.
Der Terminalprozess wurde mit folgendem Exitcode beendet: 1

Sorry some text passages are in German…
I even don’t know why the stm32duino library is needed? I think I set up a project using mbed?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

it should be fixed in the latest PIO Core. Please open PIO IDE Terminal (terminal button in bottom panel) and type

pio upgrade

Does it work now?

thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately PIO does not find any updates.
When I try to update the platforms etc (pio update) the following error occurs.

But obviously the update has finished successfully. After running the same command again, ST32 is updated to 3.6.0

And the original error still persists:

It should be fixed in the latest PIO Core. Please open PIO IDE Terminal and type pio upgrade.

Thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately I still cannot find any updates? Maybe I am doing something wrong?

I followed your guidance, and opened PIO terminal and execute the pio upgrade command.

Maybe I am already on the latest release? If so, then the error is at least for me not fixed yet.

Could you remove %HOME_DIR%/.platformio folder and start build again?

1 Like

I followed your guidance and removed the whole .platformio folder.
After starting VScode again, PlatformIO has been re-installed. After the installation finished I re-started VScode.

First, I had some troubles with the framework. I manually uninstalled the mbed framework from within the PIO Home and re-installed it.
Then, I am building the small sample project for Nucleo, but the following error occurs.

It seems that I have trouble installing the gcc.
Then, I ran pio update twice.

It seems that the gcc toolchained installed successfully.
Then I tried upgrade pio, but still the same message, that I am up to date

Finally I tried to build the project and the original error occurred again.

Any ideas?

Exactly same problem here.

Using PlatformIO with VSCode on Windows 10 with lastest update.

Already tried allowing platformio.exe and pio.exe on firewall as well as disabling it completely. Also tried disabling Windows Defender (I have no other antivirus software installed) all together. No success so far.

Tried steps discribed here too.

PackageManager: Installing tool-mkspiffs @ ~1.102.0
Downloading  [####--------------------------------]   13%
Please manually remove file `C:\Users\joaohenrique\.platformio\packages\_tmp_installing-1htljt-package\tool-mkspiffs-windows-1.102
.0.tar.gz`
Warning! Package Mirror: [Error 32] O arquivo jß estß sendo usado por outro processo: 'C:\\Users\\joaohenrique\\.platformio\\packa
ges\\_tmp_installing-1htljt-package\\tool-mkspiffs-windows-1.102.0.tar.gz'
Downloading  [##################------------------]   51%  00:00:04
Please manually remove file `C:\Users\joaohenrique\.platformio\packages\_tmp_installing-dd3er4-package\tool-mkspiffs-windows-1.102
.0.tar.gz`
Warning! Package Mirror: [Error 32] O arquivo jß estß sendo usado por outro processo: 'C:\\Users\\joaohenrique\\.platformio\\packa
ges\\_tmp_installing-dd3er4-package\\tool-mkspiffs-windows-1.102.0.tar.gz'
Error: Could not install 'tool-mkspiffs' with version requirements '~1.102.0' for your system 'windows_amd64'.
If you use Antivirus, it can block PlatformIO Package Manager. Try to disable it for a while.
The terminal process terminated with exit code: 1

Any other ideas?

Could you build project?

Yes. No problem building. Only upload fails.

Could you remove that folder and start build/upload again?

Firstly, thank you very much for your help.

Just done that, unfortunately I’m still getting the same errors.

Hi,
I am facing the same issue (while pio lib install ).
I am using platformio 3.5.0b3 on Windows 10.

Thanks!

1 Like

Any news on that? I am still facing the problem …

1 Like

I am having the same problem. Windows 10. Home 0.3.2·Core 3.5.0b3

1 Like

PackageManager: Installing tool-stm32duino @ ~1.0.0
Downloading [------------------------------------] 0%
Please manually remove file C:\Users\jerry\.platformio\packages\_tmp_installing-1ecpas-package\tool-stm32duino-windows-1.0.0.tar.gz
Warning! Package Mirror: [Error 32] : 'C:\Users\Jerry\.platformio\packages\_tmp_installing-1ecpas-package\tool-stm32duino-windows-1.0.0.tar.gz’
Looking for other mirror…
Downloading [------------------------------------] 0%
Please manually remove file C:\Users\Jerry\.platformio\packages\_tmp_installing-udb5mp-package\tool-stm32duino-windows-1.0.0.tar.gz
Warning! Package Mirror: [Error 32] : 'C:\Users\Jerry\.platformio\packages\_tmp_installing-udb5mp-package\tool-stm32duino-windows-1.0.0.tar.gz’
Error: Could not install ‘tool-stm32duino’ with version requirements ‘~1.0.0’ for your system ‘windows_amd64’.

Just formatted my PC using the “Reset this PC” Windows 10 feature and, surprisingly, after installing VSCode and PlatformIO again, the problem persists. I don’t know what else to try anymore.

Is there anyway to download this tool-mkspiffs-windows-1.102.0.tar.gz manually? If so, in which directory should I put it?

I decided to try this now and turns out it worked!

• Downloaded tool-mkspiffs-windows-1.102.0.tar.gz from here
  • Created directory tool-mkspiffs at PlatformIO directory C:/Users/your-user/.platformio/packages/
  • Extracted the downloaded file into the new directory
2 Likes

Thank you. It worked!

I had the same issue on VS Code version:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PackageManager: Installing tool-mkspiffs @ ~1.102.0
Downloading [#########---------------------------] 26%
Please manually remove file C:\Users\..\.platformio\packages\_tmp_installing-avvyrv-package\tool-mkspiffs-windows-1.102.0.tar.gz
Warning! Package Mirror: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: 'C:\Users\…\.platformio\packages\_tmp_installing-avvyrv-package\tool-mkspiffs-windows-1.102.0.tar.gz’
Downloading [##################------------------] 50%
Please manually remove file C:\Users\..\.platformio\packages\_tmp_installing-urcus9-package\tool-mkspiffs-windows-1.102.0.tar.gz
Warning! Package Mirror: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: 'C:\Users\…\.platformio\packages\_tmp_installing-urcus9-package\tool-mkspiffs-windows-1.102.0.tar.gz’
Error: Could not install ‘tool-mkspiffs’ with version requirements ‘~1.102.0’ for your system ‘windows_amd64’.

Was trying to reinstall pio few times. And after one of next attempts pio upgrade - upload it started to work.
Magic :tophat: