Heltec Esp32 LoRa v3 board support

Hi everyone,

I’ve been using the Heltec ESP32 LoRa v2 boards for a few weeks now and yesterday received the first v3 board. I see that it is quite different to its predecessor. Does anyone know if the board will be supported soon? If not, is there a suitable alternative that I can use?

Many thanks in advance,

Andy

There is a PR pending to give it support in Arduino-ESP32. Official PlatformIO support for it would follow after that (and a new core release).

(all derived from GitHub - Heltec-Aaron-Lee/WiFi_Kit_series: Arduino source codes and toolchain for WiFi_Kit_series made by HelTecAutomation. in variants/WIFI_LoRa_32_V3)

Which means, if you want to test this experimental support right now, you could could create an arbitrary project (e.g. “ESP32 dev module” + Arduino) and overwrite the platformio.ini to the forked repos which have the support.

[env:heltec_wifi_lora_32_V3] 
platform = https://github.com/Baptou88/platform-espressif32.git
framework = arduino
board = heltec_wifi_lora_32_V3
platform_packages =
   framework-arduinoespressif32@https://github.com/Baptou88/arduino-esp32.git

Which when paired with a minimal src/main.cpp results in

Linking .pio\build\heltec_wifi_lora_32_V3\firmware.elf
Retrieving maximum program size .pio\build\heltec_wifi_lora_32_V3\firmware.elf
Checking size .pio\build\heltec_wifi_lora_32_V3\firmware.elf
Advanced Memory Usage is available via "PlatformIO Home > Project Inspect"
RAM:   [          ]   3.9% (used 12928 bytes from 327680 bytes)
Flash: [=         ]   6.3% (used 210429 bytes from 3342336 bytes)
Building .pio\build\heltec_wifi_lora_32_V3\firmware.bin
esptool.py v4.2.1
Creating esp32s3 image...
Merged 2 ELF sections
Successfully created esp32s3 image.

a good compilation for me.

If you don’t like that, you would have to wait quite some time for the PR to be merged + board JSON to be added in official platform-espressif32 to have official support.

1 Like

Thanks Max:-). That’s great news. I’ll take a look and see how I get on.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer so comprehensively!

Have a good weekend.

Andy

Just to let you know that I was able to compile and run a quick ‘Hello World’ on the board without any problems:-).

1 Like

I just added support for this device to Meshtastic using the fork and it works great. Looking forward to this getting added to the official repository.

3 Likes

Hi, can you show me the code structure list, I overwrote the platformio.ini as your guidance but the compile process is always failed from ESP32_LoRaWAN.h and ESP32_LoRaWAN.cpp, and the compile is still on SX1276 board instead of SX1262 on V3 board.

thanks !

1 Like