Hardware reset on AVR 4809

Hi I have read the 4809 datasheet (well, parts of it) and it states that a fuse must be set to enable the H/W reset;

12.3.2.1.4 External Reset
The external Reset is enabled by a fuse, see the RSTPINCFG field in FUSE.SYSCFG0.
When enabled, the external Reset requests a Reset as long as the RESET pin is low. The device will stay in Reset
until RESET is high again

I think this explains why my hardware reset button doesn’t work currently. I’m still finding my way with AVR, so could anyone help me with setting the required fuse?

I’m using PyUPDI as my programming tool currently.

thanks,
Paul.

Okay so first of all, disclamer, I’ve read https://www.avrfreaks.net/comment/2489816#comment-2489816 where someone says reconfiguring the reset pin as RESET instead of GPIO makes UPDI programming work, and a comment directly underneath saying that that is not true. I haven’t done any tests myself, so proceed with caution.

Per datasheet page 56 the bit-structure of the releant SYSCFG0 fuse is

So the initial factor value of 0xC0 has the third bit (RSTPINCFG) set to 0, which makes it a GPIO.

If nothing else in regards to the initial factory configuration is to be changed, the new value would be 0xC0 | (1 << 3) = 0xc8 (setting the third bit to make RSTPINCFG = 1 and thus a RESET) for the SYSCFG0 fuse.

The documentation tells you how to set the fuse bits manually to the previously calculated value.

However, this is a special case because the ATMega4809’s Arduino core implementation is MegaCoreX and thus special logic is applied when calculating the fuses. They source their settings from specialy named settings which are explained at the core.

If I look at your previous configuration you’re however using a custom upload protocol (pyupdi) which means you can’t actually make use of automatic fuse calculation and uploading, as that is intended for the avrdude upload program (source). Otherwise you could have added

board_build.f_cpu = 20000000L
board_hardware.oscillator = internal
board_hardware.uart = no_bootloader
; RST pin is either reset or gpio
board_hardware.rstpin = reset 

to the config and ran pio run -t fuses.

So since that will not be working, you have to set the fuses manually by invoking PyUPDI. The program is well-capable of setting fuses

Since we know from the datasheet that SYSCFG0 has offset 0x5 (also decimal 5) in the fuses and the new value for it should be 0xc8, we can construct a PyUPDI command that sets that fuse to the desired value.

pyupdi -d atmega4809 -c COM12 -b 115200 -fs "5:0xc8"

(Given that the previous upload port of COM12 is still valid).

You should open a terminal and do the following:

• execute pyupdi -d atmega4809 -c COM12 -b 115200 -fr to read out all fuses. Note them down somewhere so that you have your old fuse values to get back to if something fails. This also checks the conenction to the target AVR chip. Double check that the original value of the 5th fuse is the expected 0xc0 – otherwise SYSCFG0 may be numbered as “Fuse 6” maybe.
  • try the set fuse command above.
  • check whether reset (pin PF6) is now functioning as expected.

many thanks for such a detailed reply, and time spent on it, much appreciated. I’ll take some time to look over it and try it out on a test chip.

When I ran the command to get the fuse settings, this is what I got:

C:\Users\Paul\Documents\PlatformIO\Projects\Live\Azimuth_Encoder> pyupdi -d atmega4809 -c COM12 -b 115200 -fr
Device info: {'family': 'megaAVR', 'nvm': 'P:0', 'ocd': 'D:1', 'osc': '3', 'device_id': '1E9651', 'device_rev': '0.1'}
Fuse:Value
0:0x00
1:0x00
2:0x02
3:0xFF
4:0x00
5:0xF7
6:0x07
7:0x00
8:0x00
9:0xFF
10:0xC5
PS C:\Users\Paul\Documents\PlatformIO\Projects\Live\Azimuth_Encoder> 

Which seems a bit odd.
I bought the 4809s directly from Microchip and I’ve not attempted any fuse setting previously

edit - I did use a MicruUPDI programmer for a while though.

I’ve executed the fuse set command and it seems to have been successful:

PS C:\Users\Paul\Documents\PlatformIO\Projects\Live\Azimuth_Encoder> pyupdi -d atmega4809 -c COM12 -b 115200 -fs "5:0xc8"
Device info: {'family': 'megaAVR', 'nvm': 'P:0', 'ocd': 'D:1', 'osc': '3', 'device_id': '1E9651', 'device_rev': '0.1'}
Fuse 5 set to 0xC8 successfully

I’ll try out the hardware reset button and post back if any problems,

Thanks again for detailed help.

That’s uhh… really interesting? The default value for the fuses should be, per datasheet:

• Offset 0: 0x00
  • Offset 1: 0x00
  • Offset 2: 0x02
  • Offset 3: ? (not mentioned)
  • Offset 4: ? (not mentioned)
  • Offset 5: 0xC0
  • Offset 6: 0x07
  • Offset 7: 0x00
  • Offset 8: 0x00
  • Offset 9: ? (not mentioned)
  • Offest 10: 0xC5

So the fith fuse definitely had a non-standard value even before you changed it. The rest of the fuses seem to match up all perfectly with the default values.

Let me know if hardware reset works now.