ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1-N32R8V configuration assistance

I purchased an ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1-N32R8V which has “32MB OT Flash” and “8MB OT PSRAM”, but I’ve been unable to find a matching board configuration.

The only S3 listing I could find was the “Espressif ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1-N8 (8 MB QD, No PSRAM)” which has a quarter of the Flash and no PSRAM.

Anyone with the knowledge-extraordinaire to walk me through the overrides (or a different board) needed to fully utilize the device? Also, I noticed that it calls the default_8MB.csv partition table, but that there is no 32MB partition table.

Thanks in advance!

I have the same exact problem. Using [Espressif ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1-N8 (8 MB QD, No PSRAM) got me a core dump. Following. Thanks

Same here. I could never get the N32R8 board to work properly with PlatformIO. I don’t understand the partitioning on the ESP32-S3 well enough. While searching for a solution I did come across this board configuration for the N16R8:

I didn’t have a 16MB version so I never tested it.

I ended up purchasing the N8R8 board instead and it works fine with the default esp32-s3-devkitc-1 board when you add these build flags to your platformio.ini file to get the PSRAM to work:

build_flags =
-DBOARD_HAS_PSRAM
-mfix-esp32-psram-cache-issue
-DARDUINO_ESP32S3_DEV
-DCORE_DEBUG_LEVEL=5
-DCONFIG_SPIRAM_USE

If someone out there would help get that 32MB to work with PlatformIO that would tremendous!

1 Like

Thank you for that information!

I am away at a conference, but will test this when I get home.

At this point, I would be fine with the partitioning shorting me the 16MB if it works with the NR32R8V. I just would like to get SOME use out of the boards I’ve already purchased.

If anyone out there has any ideas, I/we would be greatful.

Hi @delugeia and @djrosu,

I was able to get my ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1-N32R8V working by using the built-in board slug esp32-s3-devkitc-1 and then putting the following in my platformio.ini file:

[env:esp32-s3-devkitc-1]
platform = espressif32
board = esp32-s3-devkitc-1
framework = arduino
board_upload.flash_size = 16MB
board_build.partitions = default_16MB.csv
build_flags = 
    -DBOARD_HAS_PSRAM 
board_build.arduino.memory_type = opi_opi

I think the most crucial part that I was initially missing was that the memory type has to be set to opi_opi. In order to find this out, I had to reference Espressif’s chart here, and somebody else directed me to this folder in the arduino-esp32 core on GitHub that lists all of the possible options for the board_build.arduino.memory_type setting in platformio.ini. Hope this helps!

3 Likes

This also can make the N16R8work,maybe it will help about n32r8.
platform = espressif32
framework = arduino
; FLASH Partition table designated as 16MB
board_build.arduino.partitions = default_16MB.csv
; Specify the operating mode of FLASH and PSRAM
board_build.arduino.memory_type = qio_opi
; Predefined macro, enabling PSRAM
build_flags = -DBOARD_HAS_PSRAM
; Specify a FLASH capacity of 16MB
board_upload.flash_size = 16MB

These settings worked for me:

[env:esp32-s3-devkitc-1]
platform = espressif32
framework = arduino
board_upload.flash_size = 8MB
board_build.partitions = default_8MB.csv
build_flags = 
    -DBOARD_HAS_PSRAM 
    -DARDUINO_USB_CDC_ON_BOOT=1
board_build.arduino.memory_type = opi_opi

opi_opi fixed reboot loop, but the board was not communicating over serial until I added -DARDUINO_USB_CDC_ON_BOOT=1

1 Like

Thank you so much for this solution! I managed to get my esp32s3devkitc n32r8v finally working.

Thanks! This platformio.ini works for me too with my ESP32-S3-WROOM-2-N32R8V.