Board Type for ESP32S3-8048S043

Hi,

I have been using this board type in Arduino IDE, but would prefer to use it in VS Code with platformio, but am unsure about which board tytpe to choose.

Esp32-s3 Hmi 8m Psram 16m Flash Arduino Lvgl Wifi&bluetooth 4.3" 480*270 Smart Display Screen 4.3 Inch Rgb Lcd Tft Module - Lcd Modules - AliExpress

ESP32 S3 development board
Dual Core Xtensa X7 240 MHz
ESP-4827S043
8M PSRAM
16M Flash
Standard 4.3-inch TFT screen
Resistor touch

My project is an .ino Arduino Sketch, and in Arduino IDE I have been using the board type

ESP32S3 Dev Module

Which board type is the equivalent of the above in Platform IO ?

I can’t seem to find one with the same name when creating a project from scratch using the New Project Wizard.

The settings for this board type are

By now there several dozens of these types of questions here. While we do have

https://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/platforms/espressif32.html

that actually only includes some config options (CPU freq, flash mode, flash size, general PSRAM activation, partition table).

The nitty gritty details on USB CDC activation, PSRAM type and JTAG adapter (debug_tool) are a bit hidden or not in the documentation, but can be found nit he forum. See e.g.

Can you file an issue at Issues · platformio/platformio-docs · GitHub that you did not find it clear how to configure PlatformIO for your board based on the current docs? They should improve it so we can just point to updated docs instead of doing per-user work.

Thanks you for the help, yes I will raise an issue with the platformio-docs. I’ll try this out and provide feedback.

For this exactly board i used this configuration on the platformio.ini file:

[env:esp32]

platform = espressif32
board = esp32-s3-devkitc-1
framework = arduino
; Specify velocity of serial monitor
monitor_speed = 115200
; Specify the frequency of the CPU
board_build.f_cpu = 240000000L
; Specify the frequency of the FLASH
board_build.f_flash = 80000000L
; FLASH Partition table designated as 16MB
board_build.arduino.partitions = default_16MB.csv
; Specify the operating mode of FLASH and PSRAM
board_build.arduino.memory_type = qio_opi
; Predefined macro, enabling PSRAM
build_flags = -DBOARD_HAS_PSRAM
; Specify a FLASH capacity of 16MB
board_upload.flash_size = 16MB

1 Like

Yes thanks for the info, mine is very similar to that apart from the following, but not sure if you need these also ?

build_flags =
-DBOARD_HAS_PSRAM
-mfix-esp32-psram-cache-issue
upload_speed=921600
board_build.flash_mode = qio

Maybe dont need the last line if already specify this line ?
board_build.arduino.memory_type = qio_opi

Have you tried using a full background image i.e. a RGB 800x480, as when I do the screen image jerks around a bit, like the buffer is being corrupted/refreshed as the screen refresh is being done ? It looks like the screen update is too slow if reading the buffer from the PSRAM - or there is some underrun when the CPU and GDMA H/W are accesing the PSRAM at the same time. This only seems to affect the Arduino framework, as if you use the espressif framework they have a bounce buffer, so the jerking around is no longer there. Unfortunately I can only use the espressif framework with the espressif IDE plugin + eclipse, I can’t get my platformio project to work with espidf and the lvgl library, and the gt911 etc.

I get a kernel panic, not sure if its the checksum failure or not.

0x40375af8: panic_abort at U:/Tools/Espressif/frameworks/esp-idf-v5.1/components/esp_system/panic.c:453 (discriminator 1)

Warning: checksum mismatch between flashed and built applications. Checksum of built application is 249f75251e6b96b1b92027ccbacc1b7aaf46d1f105f69c50d07eb1c56d51e8a6
0x42030255: lv_textarea_set_cursor_pos at D:/workspaces2022/Espressif_IDE2.9.1/rgb_panel/managed_components/lvgl__lvgl/src/widgets/lv_textarea.c:387

Actually its a memory issue

E (340) lcd_panel.rgb: lcd_rgb_panel_alloc_frame_buffers(156): no mem for frame buffer
E (350) lcd_panel.rgb: esp_lcd_new_rgb_panel(285): alloc frame buffers failed

How did you solve this problem?