ESP-PROG debugger not working

Hello,

I’m trying the ESP-PROG debugger for the first time wth a TTGO. I managed to upload using the program port connected to TX and RX. However when I try to run the debugger I get the error message shown below. I am powering the ESP32 from the ESP-PROG using the 5 volt pin and have connected to GPIO 12-15. Any help (wiring diagram ?) would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

PlatformIO: debug_tool = esp-prog
PlatformIO: Initializing remote target…
Open On-Chip Debugger v0.10.0-esp32-20190708 (2019-07-08-11:04)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
none separate
adapter speed: 20000 kHz
Info : Configured 2 cores
esp32 interrupt mask on
Info : tcl server disabled
Info : telnet server disabled
Error: libusb_open() failed with LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND
Error: no device found
Error: unable to open ftdi device with vid 0403, pid 6010, description ‘', serial '’ at bus location ‘*’
Warn : Flash driver of esp32.flash does not support free_driver_priv()
Warn : Flash driver of irom does not support free_driver_priv()
Warn : Flash driver of drom does not support free_driver_priv()
.pioinit:11: Error in sourced command file:
Remote communication error. Target disconnected.: No error.

There are already multiple topics about it, please use the forum search first.

Docs: ESP-Prog — PlatformIO latest documentation

Indicates that you have not run Zadig to change the change the JTAG channel of the FT2232HL to the WinUSB driver, as noted in the topics above.

I agree with @maxgerhardt: The problem is the FTDI driver, which needs to be unloaded with Zadig on Windows or kextunload on macOS. Currently, you have no connection between your computer and the debugger. So the wiring is not relevant yet.

Wiring information can be found here:

https://medium.com/@manuel.bl/low-cost-esp32-in-circuit-debugging-dbbee39e508b

I also recommend to start with uploading your program via the debugger before trying to debug a program as it will verify that the communication from your computer via the debugger to the ESP32 is working. In order to do that, add this line to platformio.ini:

upload_protocol = esp-prog
2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have it working now. I guess others are using ESP-PROG only for JTAG. I am using it both for uploading (The upload connector has pins for IO0 and EN) and for JTAG. My mistake was to reconfigure both ports. Now I use Zadig to configure only the JTAG port. I also specify the upload and debug ports in platform.ini.

1 Like