Can't open PIO Home

VSCode 1.36.1 macOS Catalina beta

Following pop-up when I try to open PIO Home

Many other users have the same problem

This happens also on a fresh install

It is very annoying because every time I start vscode with a pio project this comes up.
The Autostart option for PIO Home is not in the settings.

I get that pop up too and I honestly dont know what the implactions of if I say yes so I just close it.
Just close that dialog, hit the x in the corner. That will get rid of it. PIO home will probably come up after you do that.

Do you still have this issue?

I have this issue only with macOS Catalina beta, it doesn’t come up with macOS Mojave.

Could you open PIO IDE Terminal on Catalina and run

pio home

Do you see any errors?

Which Python version is used in Catalina?

python --version
pip list

Did you install this Python manually?

No, I think it comes from a former version of macOS.

On macOS, python 2.7 is part of the standard installation.

Python 3 needs to be installed manually. On my properly working system (with macOS Mojave), python --version also says: Python 2.7.16.

The upcoming macOS Catalina officially deprecates relying python being part of the standard installation. But as far as I can tell, the installation still looks the same.

The latest release notes say:

Scripting language runtimes such as Python, Ruby, and Perl are included in macOS for compatibility with legacy software. Future versions of macOS won’t include scripting language runtimes by default, and might require you to install additional packages. If your software depends on scripting languages, it’s recommended that you bundle the runtime within the app. (49764202)

Use of Python 2.7 isn’t recommended as this version is included in macOS for compatibility with legacy software. Future versions of macOS won’t include Python 2.7. Instead, it’s recommended that you run python3 from within Terminal. (51097165)

Update: It’s version 2.7.10 (and not 2.7.16).

1 Like

Do you have the same issue with PIO Home?

No, not at all. It’s working without problem.

I just wanted to add that sstaub’s python setup looks completely standard.

What I know, 2.7.10 is default Python on macOS. However, @sstaub has 2.7.16.

@sstaub could you try re-install Python 2.7.16 and remove ~/.platformio/penv?

What is the fastest way for reinstall?

Let’s check how did you install it?

which python
python -c "import hashlib; print(hashlib)"

I reinstalled with brew, but I get many warnings.