Atmega328p xplained mini board: uploading success, can't debug

You’re right. Follow your prompts, I use another computer to run the program, and get “JTAG config starting. Found a device” immediately.
Maybe I installed so many softwares in my computer for compiling avarice a few days ago, and there are some conflicts. These conflicts affect the use of avarice.

I have to reinstall the OS immediately, see you later.

Best regards.

I’ve made further progress by

1. recompiling avr-gdb with XML support (libexpact). Otherwise avr-gdb does not send avarice the to-be-written firmware data in the correct block size. (Writing Flash from GDB fails · Issue #100 · avrdudes/avarice · GitHub)
  2. recompiling avarice with a patch that make software breakpoints (at least a little bit more correctly), Make software BP work with ATMEL ICE · maxgerhardt/avarice@2efd4b2 · GitHub

Now I don’t need to go back to ISP mode to flash the firmware but avr-gdb can do it directly through avarice.

It’s not yet perfect (Python problems in avr-gdb, sometimes breakpoints don’t work, execution / debugging stops), but slow progress…

Even got SVD files for teh ATMega chips so that the “Peripherals” view can decode the peripheral registers. After changing LED Pin (PB5) to output, the PORTB peripheral has changed values :slight_smile:

Thank you for your great work.
Can you give the Platformio team a suggestion: let the Platformio fully support the board, uploading and debugging easily.
Best regards.