Add new platform

Hi all!
We have recently created our IoT development platform - IoTaaP, the first board that we currently have is IoTaaP Magnolia with ESP32. I wonder how can I add our platform to Platformio repository. I have run through this topic: Registering new platform and framework? but I wasn’t able to find an answer.

Initial repo is here: https://github.com/mvtsolutions/iotaap-platformio

Looking forward to your answer and adding IoTaaP to Platformio!

Thanks,
Ivan

1 Like

I think it would be a matter of doing a post like this :wink:

When @ivankravets gets a chance he’ll probably review it, suggest changes, and then do what needs to be done to add it.

2 Likes

Hi @igolubic! Why do you need an entirely new platform? Is there anything special like additional frameworks, sdk, uploaders? Maybe a new board in the espressif32 platform would be enough?

2 Likes

Hi @valeros !
Our platform will have various boards as time passes. Also, we have a plan to publish a new SDK. I think that it would be messy if we add only a new board to the espressif32 platform

Hi all,
after a brief discussion with my team and talking about the pros and cons of new platform vs new board we have decided to go with a new board under espressif32 platform. After finishing up development in a few days we will request adding this board to platformio as @pfeerick suggested.

1 Like

Hi,
I have just submitted a new pull request with new IoTaaP magnolia board: Add IoTaaP Magnolia board by igolubic · Pull Request #231 · platformio/platform-espressif32 · GitHub

.rst file for documentation is available here: https://github.com/mvtsolutions/iotaap-platformio

Also, IoTaaP support library is submitted to Platformio registry.

If there is anything more that I can do, please let me know.

1 Like

Hi,
@ivankravets just merged the pull request.
How long does it usually take from the merge to the next release (or moment when the board or platform is available) in PlatformIO repository?

Maybe we can close this thread after the answer to be able to use this thread as a reference for future questions about adding new platforms or boards?

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

The espressif32 platform got bumped to v1.10 seven days ago, so unless there is some major update to the ESP-IDF or ESP32 Arduino core, it could be a little while until the release / stable. You should be able to use the development version in the meantime per the readme.