Using modern gcc for AVR

I like to play with C++. Unfortunately, toolchain-atmelavr that is used in platfromio is old and some features are unsupported (even if it is c++17).

For example:

template<volatile uint8_t& a>
        class A {};

class B: public A<a> {};

results in:

error: expression 'a' has side-effects

However, gcc 9 doesn’t have this issue.

Is it any way to use system gcc instead of platformio package?

I’m using MacOs and brew.

The next code works:

class A {};

template<uint8_t& a>

It is totally different meaning.

The highest version in the registry is 7.3.0 (PlatformIO Registry).

If you have Windwos or Linux, please download the binaries from AVR-GCC 12.1.0 for Windows 32 and 64 bit | Zak’s Electronics Blog ~*, extract the folder somewhere. If you have Mac, find where macports installed avr-gcc (which per this should also be 12.1.0) with e.g. which avr-gcc if it’s installed globally and duplicate the whole toolchain folder somewhere.

Then copy the package.json from <home folder>/.platformio/packages/toolchain-atmelavr/ into that extracted folder at the same location, change the “version” field to 3.120100.220725 and add

platform_packages =
   toolchain-atmelavr@symlink://<full path to the extracted toolchain folder here>

to the platformio.ini. (Full path on Mac will have a / at the front, will result in symlink:///User/..., which is perfectly fine.)

This way I could use a local AVR-GCC 12 installation on Windows just a while ago to test things out.

The C++ STL implementation is still extremely bad and missing large chunks – but at least C++ language wise, the newer versions should be better…

Thank you. Even if it’s a dirty trick it can work.
Of course, I have a new version of GCC.

I was able to solve this issue by changing the code a little bit. However, I missed some features like concepts and advanced constexp.

And I decided to not use STL. It looks too complicated. At least, I don’t want to use dynamic memory allocation and exceptions.

G++ works very well. Classical blink and button can be compiled without using RAM at all.