I’ve been using PlatformIO for some time and successfully used it to create projects based on ESP8266 and ESP32. Not long ago, I did some initial work on a project using LilyGo T-Display (not S3) and that works fine. More recently, however, I’ve obtained a T-Display S3 board and am having real trouble getting the code to upload - I’ve never managed to do this yet with PlatformIO. I’ve even completely removed and reinstalled VSC and PIO to make sure I’m running the latest and greatest. In desperation, I tried uploading a sketch using the Arduino IDE - this works perfectly (as long as I put the chip in Boot mode), so I know the hardware is working OK.
In PIO, I get the failure shown below with the chip in run mode. If I put it into Boot mode, the output stops after detecting COM6 - nothing else happens until I disconnect the ESP32 S3.
This is on a Win11 system with all updates. PIO is using esptool.py 4.4, Arduino IDE is using esptool.exe 4.2.1. I tried replacing esptool.py with v4.2.1 but PIO simply overwrote it with v4.4. I also tried putting ‘platform_packages = firstname.lastname@example.org’ in platformio.ini but it couldn’t find that version.
I’m stuck and hope someone can give me a pointer or two as to what to try next.
Configuring upload protocol... AVAILABLE: cmsis-dap, esp-bridge, esp-builtin, esp-prog, espota, esptool, iot-bus-jtag, jlink, minimodule, olimex-arm-usb-ocd, olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h, olimex-arm-usb-tiny-h, olimex-jtag-tiny, tumpa CURRENT: upload_protocol = esptool Looking for upload port... Auto-detected: COM6 Uploading .pio\build\esp32-s3-devkitc-1\firmware.bin esptool.py v4.4 Serial port COM6 Connecting... Chip is ESP32-S3 (revision v0.1) Features: WiFi, BLE Crystal is 40MHz MAC: 68:b6:b3:22:d7:2c Uploading stub... Running stub... Stub running... Configuring flash size... Flash will be erased from 0x00000000 to 0x00003fff... Flash will be erased from 0x00008000 to 0x00008fff... Flash will be erased from 0x0000e000 to 0x0000ffff... Flash will be erased from 0x00010000 to 0x0005dfff... Compressed 14768 bytes to 10149... Writing at 0x00000000... (100 %) A fatal error occurred: Packet content transfer stopped (received 1 bytes) *** [upload] Error 2 ============================================ [FAILED] Took 16.22 seconds ============================================