Upgrade problems for PlatformIO-IDE with VSCode

Hi, I am having problems upgrading PlatformIO. I am running on a Ubuntu 20.04 system with VSCode. Whenever it tries to upgrade I get the error:

Error: Error: Compatible PlatformIO Core not found.
Reason: PlatformIO installed using another platform Linux-5.4.0-58-generic-x86_64-with-glibc2.29. Your platform: Linux-5.4.0-58-generic-x86_64-with-glibc2.10

Any idea how I can get around this?

Thanks, Kevin

Hmm some glibc update occurred in between… Are you able to completely remove the old PlatformIO installation? Depending on how you installed it

• pip uninstall platformio (if installed via PIP)
  • Remove PlatformIO VSCode extension
  • remove the folder ~/.platformio completely
  • restart VSCode, reinstall PlatformIO extension
  • → should download a fresh arduino core
1 Like

Thanks, Max

This seemed to solve the problem and was easy.

Kevin

However, the problem has now returned.

Error: Error: Compatible PlatformIO Core not found.
Reason: PlatformIO installed using another platform Linux-5.4.0-62-generic-x86_64-with-glibc2.10. Your platform: Linux-5.4.0-62-generic-x86_64-with-glibc2.29

Now, I am really confused, it appears that the two platforms are interchanged between my previous message and now.

Also, to add confusion, suddenly several libraries that I am using are suddenly not availble, e.g. AsyncMqttClient. I will repeat the above uninstall/reinstall ritual, but does anyone have an idea why this might be happening?

Thanks for any help, Kevin

Do you have multiple PlatformIO cores in your system maybe? (docs).

Try and remove all and reinstall one good core, e.g. the one that is builtin in the VSCode PlatformIO extension.

Maybe @ivankravets also knows in which cases that can occur?

Hi Max. I repeated PlatformIO removal and re-installation. I do not know of another PlatformIO core installation, but I did notice a .pio directory which I deleted. Maybe I installed PlatformIO IDE before?

In any case all is working and I will yell for help again if the pesky error comes back again.

Thanks, Kevin