Update to ESP8266 RTOS SDK

PlatformIO has a very old version of the above SDK.

It is impossible to update it manually to what is on GitHub - espressif/ESP8266_RTOS_SDK: Latest ESP8266 SDK based on FreeRTOS, esp-idf style.

This has been stable for a long time!

Why do they not provide a simple manual update option?

If the build system and file structure hasn’t changed you can update your local copy by going in your framework-esp8266-rtos-sdk folder (e.g. C:\Users\<user>\.platformio\packages\framework-esp8266-rtos-sdk) and update the files. However, the filestructure has changed so this won’t work. There’s already an issue for it: Update native SDK for ESP8266 to 3.0.0 · Issue #85 · platformio/platform-espressif8266 · GitHub

PIO is basically at 1.4.x (GitHub - espressif/ESP8266_RTOS_SDK at 1.4.x) with the newest being 3.1.

1 Like

So you are aware of this issue.

ESP8266 is so popular as an IOT device – I am surprised that it has not been updated.

I too thought I could manually update – but file structure has changed – new one is similar to ESP-IDF!

2 Likes

Please file a feature request here Issues · platformio/platform-espressif8266 · GitHub

try it

Thanks for the update!

I mam using Visual Studio Code. I managed to install the platform and it shows up in .platformio/platforms/custom8266

However the framework is not installed. Should this be done manually by creating a folder:
framework-esp8266-rtos-sdk-idf-platformio?

The new framework does not show up as an option. Thanks

Hi.
sorry for delay

in platform.json framework mark “optional”: true
i.e. the framework will be set when first used
you need in platformio.ini set
platform=custom8266
framework=framework-esp8266-rtos-sdk-idf

and compile project/ framework will install

I installed the platform using the command
pio platform install https://github.com/WallaceWilliam/framework-esp8266-rtos-sdk-idf-platformio.git
Which installed
custom8266 @ 0fff40c has been successfully installed!
PackageManager: Installing toolchain-xtensa-lx106-elf @ 5.2.0+100

I created a new project, selecting a board from the custom8266 section, and went to compile.

- toolchain-xtensa-lx106-elf 5.2.0+100
  File "C:\PlatformIO\.platformio\platforms\custom8266\builder\frameworks\esp8266-rtos-sdk.py", line 242
    line = line.replace('"','')
                              ^
TabError: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation

EDIT: I fixed this by copying the indentation of the line below it to this line with the error.

Then I received this;

PACKAGES:

• framework-esp8266-rtos-sdk 2d11c90
  • toolchain-xtensa-lx106-elf 5.2.0+100
    To compile project see README.md

The README goes on to say install CMake, install GNU Make, rename src to main, build project using idf.py…

So - then to build a project, it is no longer using PlatformIO…? Then what was the purpose of the WallaceWilliam Platform?

I’m confused…