Update latest version of ESP-IDF?

The following json file:
~/.platformio/packages/framework-espidf/package.jsonpackage.json

says I have 3.303. Is this the version of the ESP-IDF I have installed?

And, I have the following directory that I think is the idf, as added to platformio:

/home/mac/.platformio/packages/framework-espidf/

This directory appears to have the git files. Can I cd to framework-espidf and just use git pull to get the latest?

Most likely. 3.3 is the latest non-beta, non-development release. Also tracks with platform-espressif32 v1.10.0 having updated to the v3.3 LTS version.

No, as unless your directory structure is different to mine (on Windows), there is no .git folder, so the folder is not a git repository.

If you were going to try, I’d rename the folder to a different name (so you have a backup), create a new one in it’s place, git clone the ESP-IDF repo - v4.0 branch?, copy in the platformio subfolder from your backup as that’s not in the ESP-IDF and then see what breaks. Will probably need to pull the submodules as well.

You are correct there is no .git.

Interestly, there is a .github, .gitignore, and .gitmodules.

In any case, by the time I’d read this, I’d copied in the code in question from 4.0 to my 3.x folder. I had to add the new hal folders where appropriate.

And I actually got it working! :smiley:

I took notes on what I munged around…just in case.

Who knows what else I buggered up. :blush:

1 Like

Yeah, they’re all there in the source repo… so the package was probably initially created from a zip download or a git clone with the .git folder susequently removed.

Nice to hear you got it working! :slight_smile:

hehe… makes things more … interesting :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Well, today I find out it really tricked me.

Apparently, it found dependency for the earlier revision and re-installed the older version, over what I had forced into the folder… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

lol… ouch! yeah, that is one unfortunate side effect of making changes! Not quite sure how you’d fix that (practically - there’s always firewall blocking, pulling the internet connection! lol) other than making a custom version of the platform.