Unknown environment when running Platformio

Folks,
I am so new to all of this that it hurts. Any advice will be very well received.
Background …
I want to implement M600 filament change .
so I changed my Ender3 card to 4.2.7 and downloaded Marlin2 with the Marlin bugfix -2.0.x 19May21 website as a binary file.
problem …
M600 Isn’t automatically implemented. It needs changes and recompiling.
So …
I downloaded Visual Studio Code and added the platformio extension. I changed the line to STM32F103RES_creality and saved it.
I made the suggested changes to make M600 work, saved and clicked tick to build.
It fails with :-
############################
“> Executing task: C:\Users\dave.platformio\penv\Scripts\pio.exe run <
Error: Unknown environment names ‘STM32f103RET6_creality’. Valid names are ‘include_tree’
The terminal process “C:\Users\dave.platformio\penv\Scripts\pio.exe ‘run’” terminated with exit code: 1.
Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.”
#############################
(I have also tried Capital ‘F’ in the above, but that also fails with the same response)
I have researched for a couple of days on the web, but nothing I try seems to have any effect.
I have noticed the following though. . . .
VSC takes 70% of CPU, 620 MB of memory with no disk accesses, running like this for 5 minutes or more, only stopping when I end the task in Task Manager.
I also get a warning popup saying:-

The connection to the terminal’s pty host process is unresponsive, the terminals may stop working.

I have no idea where to go from here and any assistance would be very well-received
I have an Acer Aspire/V LapTop with an 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i5-5200U CPU,
64 kilobyte primary memory cache, 8108 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, and 500GB SSD drive with 100GB unused

I apologise in advance for probably putting up here information that isn’t relevant, and for not including data that is.
It just goes to show my poor understanding of these processes.
Dave Parker. UK

Since posting this plea for assistance, I have uninstalled and re-installed both VSC and Platformio. (There must have been some residual files though, as VSC seems to start off from where I left off before the uninstall. So I am not sure how successful that has been). Result :- Exactly the same problem.

Could it be that the versions of VSC and Platformio I have downloaded are incompatible?

It needs to be STM32F103RET6_creality.

if using the latest Marlin.

It’s hard to reproduce your problem without your exact Marlin project setup – can you do a project task → Clean and upload the project folder somewhere for reproduction?

Excellent.
Many thanks. I will look into this straight away. I had become desperate and had started looking for an alternative to VSC!

PlatformIO is the general build system. Even if you run PlatformIO in say, CLion, or Eclipse, instead of VSCode, there will be no difference in behavior. The only other build system with which Marlin can be built is the Arduino IDE.

Well I have an Arduino, but never thought of trying to use it with the 3d.
I had assumed that VSC was the best and easiest way and I would still like to go that route.
I am a full-time carer, so don’t have too much spare time, but will look into your previous help offer. My problem is trying to get a handle on the terminology. Thanks for spending your time on my problem.

Hi there Max. Happy New Year to You…
I have attempted to run the link you mentioned but I had real problems with it. I am sorry but I have problems at home which mean I can’t spend any more time on this problem.
I have a Flashforge Adventurer3 which has this feature enabled as standard, so I will use this machine.
I am sorry to have wasted your time, but thank you for your efforts to help me.