Unable to debug stm32h723 nucleo board

I’ve been trying to do some debugging with platformio and I’m finding the process to be a little obscure. I ran the debug configuration and I get back

PlatformIO Unified Debugger -> https://bit.ly/pio-debug
PlatformIO: debug_tool = stlink
PlatformIO: Initializing remote target...
.pioinit:13: Error in sourced command file:
error starting child process '| "C:/Users/Ya/.platformio/packages/tool-openocd/bin/openocd.exe" -s "C:/Users/Ya/.platformio/packages/tool-openocd" -c "gdb_port pipe; tcl_port disabled; telnet_port disabled" -s "C:/Users/Ya/.platformio/packages/tool-openocd/openocd/scripts" -f "interface/stlink.cfg" -c "transport select hla_swd" -f "target/stm32h7x.cfg"': CreateProcess: No such file or directory

I’m not really sure what this means but I figure it’s probably not actually building with debug flags or something but I’m not really sure what I’m doing wrong.

This is what my platformio.ini file looks like:

You seem to be running in the same bug I’ve run into with a GCC 12 toolchain that pipe mode is just broken. See

The solution is to use a lower toolchain version (< 12) or >= 13 one. The latter is not provided by PlatformIO in its registry, so you’d have to download it yourself, add a package.json to it like in C:\Users\<user>\.platformio\packages\toolchain-gccarmnoneeabi\package.json and point to it in the platformio.ini using platform_packages = toolchain-gccarmnoneeabi@symlink://<your new compiler path>.

correct me if I’m wrong, but can’t I just point it directly to a git link instead of downloading manually and then adding a package.json? or does that only work if there is a package.json? I would love to just downgrade my version, but I need something >= 12 to get my C++ project to work properly

If you use a download link, then that downlaoded package needs a package.json. Which is ofc not given out in the standard GNU ARM download.

Yeah I understand that, what I meant to say was is it possible to simply point platform_packages to git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git since I’ve seen it done with github links in the documentation, but I guess not. I’ll give the custom package.json a go, although I’ve had trouble in the past.

So I’ve been looking around, and version >= 13 doesn’t seem to exist on the arm website?

I also have been reading through the second github issues link you sent, but trying to use the toolchain update linked in that repository seems to break my build entirely. It doesn’t seem to like the idea of using C++20 even though that worked just fine when i was using the 12.xxx version in the registry.

And GCC 10 from the registry is a complete no go for your project?

platform_packages =
   toolchain-gccarmnoneeabi@~1.100301.0

Nope, see this thread: Using C structs imported from a C library

note that these build flags were the only way I got my project to build properly on version 1.12, but don’t seem to work on 1.10

No your build_flags is wrong. -std is no linker setting, so it should not have -Wl, in front of it.

Hmmm, interesting, that exact combo seemed to work back on 12.0, but just getting rid of both the build flags and unbuild flags actually builds this time around for this project. and the debugger is … working more than it was before now, although it still doesn’t quite work. It doesn’t seem to recognize my breakpoints and I get

[stm32h7x.cpu0] halted due to debug-request, current mode: Thread 
xPSR: 00000000 pc: 0xf0130300 msp: 0xea414684
[stm32h7x.cpu0] halted due to debug-request, current mode: Thread 
xPSR: 00000000 pc: 0xf0130300 msp: 0xea414684
Function "main" not defined.
Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n]) [answered N; input not from terminal]
PlatformIO: Initialization completed
PlatformIO: Resume the execution to `debug_init_break = tbreak main`
PlatformIO: More configuration options -> https://bit.ly/pio-debug

seems like the debug symbols aren’t included. Is there anything you have to do to the PIO config to get it to build with debug flags? I assumed simply running PIO-debug like in the tutorials (and in my arduino based projects) would get things working.

That looks weird. Can you post the whole platformio.ini and used scripts? The binary should be build in debug mode automatically (-Og -g -ggdb3), unless something destroys it.

[platformio]
; This is the root directory of the STM32CubeIDE project. Platformio can only
; take one source directory, thus we filter the sources using a
; source filter and additional build options to include the headers.
; Do not change this value
src_dir = ./
; The project headers are defined here to be available for the libraries as well
; Do not change this value
include_dir = Core/Inc
lib_dir = Core/Startup

[env:nucleo_h723zg]
platform = ststm32
board = nucleo_h723zg

; build_flags =  -std=gnu++2a 
; build_unflags= -std=gnu++14

platform_packages =
  ; use newer gccarm toolchain
   toolchain-gccarmnoneeabi@~1.100301.0

extra_scripts = pre:setup_cubemx_env_auto.py
debug_tool = stlink
upload_protocol = stlink

setup_cubemx_env_auto.py: https://github.com/jbaumann/pio_and_stm32cubeide/tree/main/automatic_cubemx

I also tried adding debug_build_flags = -O0 -ggdb3 -g3 manually and it didn’t help

Add build_flags = -O0 -g -ggdb3 and build_flags = -Os. Does it change anything in the debugger?

I tried build_flags = -O0 -g -ggdb3 -Os and build_flags = -O0 -g -ggdb3 and build_flags = -Os

None worked.

I fixed it, I forgot a step from my last project in which I learned you have to move the linker script from the startup folder to the src folder for it to get used properly. I did that and now although the debugger starts at main for some reason no matter what, it actually debugs properly :pray:. What a mission this has been.