Trouble with updating IDE

I had trouble updating the Platform IO IDE extension. It all started because of the nuisance that I wasnt getting the right ICONs in the lower left corner to compile (checkmark) and download (Right arrow). Instead I was getting only those 4 icons which are meaningless. Normally I go and disable the IDE and re-enable it, but for whatever reason it wouldn’t give me the right icons. Then I was installing the extension and it wound up failing. Probably because it was taking way to long and I pretty much gave up on it. I still can’t get the icons and not sure if I have the IDE installed correctly. I looked on the forum and it was reccommended to uninstall all Python programs (whichI did) and then remove the folder (.platform IDE latest version) which I did. I then reinstalled Python manually successfully but still cannot get the Platform IO to update. Below is the error message. Help is greatly appreciated.

Installing PlatformIO Core…

Please do not close this window and do not open other folders until this process is completed.

Failed to install PlatformIO IDE.

What is your OS? Do you see any errors in VSCode > Help > Toggle Developer Tools > Console?