Toolbar changes

In the moment I’m very unhappy about annoying changes and deletes in the toolbars/tasks on every version change.:rage:
I understand your intention to do the most things in the home screen, but you kills well working and fast workflows.
Atom: In the PlatformIO Toolbar following items missing:

• “Add/Open project folder”
    -> in PIO Home screen a configurable user standard path for project files will be helpful
  • “Initialize new PlatformIO Project or update existing…”
    -> In PIO Home screen there is no possibility to update a project (e.g. add another board to the platform.ini file)
    -> In VS Code the same task is missing

Please bring the old item back.

Suggestions for PIO Home

• Project Wizard (very usefull :slight_smile:), the search function for boards does not work very well:

• on VS Code on WIN10 it needs 12s for initialising the board list, on macOS it needs only 3s

• the search function needs complete word part of the board name to find the correct boards, e.g.
      “Nucle” finds also some Atmel AVR boards?!

• PIO Home -> Clone function for projects would be nice.

We try to make our UI the simple as we can. I don’t like a ton of buttons with the same functionality.

See Atom Menu: File > Add/Open

Could you explain in details?

Please run pio update in PIO IDE Terminal. I updated PIO Home to 0.2.4. Now, there is explanation in Project Wizard.

Hm… Very strange. Could you open PIO IDE Terminal and type pio boards --json-output. How many seconds does it take?

Fixed in PIO Home 0.2.4

Why can’t you copy that using FS manager? :slight_smile:

We try to make our UI the simple as we can. I don’t like a ton of buttons with the same functionality.

“Never change a running system”:slight_smile:
There is always more than one way to do the tasks, the “one” perfect way doesn’t exist, so give us the change to choose our way by ourselves. The centralized PIO Home is very helpfull in many things but also not very handy.

See Atom Menu: File > Add/Open

The toolbar button is only one click, I use it very often since you established it,
also find out that the setting button leads direct to PIO IDE Settings, instead to settings general, there are so many dependencies so I liked the button as he was before.:confused:

Hm… Very strange. Could you open PIO IDE Terminal and type pio boards --json-output. How many seconds does it take?

It takes 5s in Win10 with bootcamp on MacbookPro i5 2.3Ghz, with VS Code HighSierre 4s. And yes, Windows is generally very slow, the loading times of Atom are meanwhile ugly (up to 20s for start), so I changed to VS Code which is much faster.

Please run pio update in PIO IDE Terminal. I updated PIO Home to 0.2.4. Now, there is explanation in Project Wizard.

See it, fine but maybe an "Update"check button would be helpful, which gives the actual project path like before (that task is also missing.

That’s the way I use now, but neither in Atom nor VS Code there is a possibility for “Save as…”
for complete project folders, so I must take the way through the Explorer/Finder. So, there comes
the idea for a clone function from.

I think a user defined path in “Places” will helpful, or make the project path configurable

Stefan, I’ll explain why I removed it. That is very good that you understand how to use that button and select a proper project. The newest users do not understand that they should work with a project but not with a folder that contains a lot of projects.

Every time we receive questions “why my project does not build”. New “PIO Home” and its “Open Project” wizard WILL NOT ALLOW opening non-PlatformIO project. So, we will provide best user experience with PlatformIO and save our time for a support.

Why do I recommend here? You can open projects with PIO Home > Open Project wizard and PIO will remember them. Later, you need just open PIO Home and click on “open” in "Recent Projects.

I understand that you used with that button but you should also understand which harm it brings to PIO IDE. We don’t have control “what user has opened” because we can’t control that Atom’s modal window.

Thanks, restored in Restore settings button to follow to Atom settings instead of PIO IDE… · platformio/platformio-atom-ide@36354c7 · GitHub
Today, we plan the first RELEASE CANDIDATE of PIO IDE for Atom. The final release is planned for this month.

P.S: Thanks a lot for other feature requests, I created the separate issue for them. Do not hesitate to make new requests: