Tool Manager: Could not parse manifest

Hello

I’m using OS X and see the error below in a project on a machine that I haven’t used the last 2 weeks. The same project compiles fine on some other machine. I see that the Core version is different

5.2.5 → works
5.3.0a3 → doesn’t work, not a stable version?

It seems like I’m using the latest dev version of Core, don’t know how this happened, tried to uninstall and reinstall the platformIO IDE extension but keep getting 5.3.0a3. Also not sure if it matters really.

Executing task: platformio run --environment esp32dev <

Processing esp32dev (platform: espressif32; board: esp32dev; framework: arduino)

Tool Manager: Could not parse manifest → Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)
Tool Manager: Could not parse manifest → Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)
Error: Could not find one of ‘package.json’ manifest files in the package
The terminal process “platformio ‘run’, ‘–environment’, ‘esp32dev’” terminated with exit code: 1.

Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.

Is “Use Development Core” turned on in the PlatformIO VSCode extension?

Usually this indicates broken platform or packages. If you didn’t use any custom / special packages (other arduino framework version or platform version or whatever), you should try deleting ~/.platformio/packages/* and ~/.platformio/platforms/* and ~/.platformio/.cache and rebuilding the project. PlatformIO will redownload everything.

Thx, the checkbox is not ticked (never was I would say, wasn’t aware of it)

But great, yes, deleting the files you have mentioned did the trick, all works again, many thanks!