STM32Cube framework HAL version

Ok so I am 99% sure this framework is a wrapper around the HAL framework shipped by STM. Like a lot of people, I am using CubeMX to generate code for my projects peripherals and just copying that code into my platformio project, BUT I have noticed that the version of HAL CubeMX uses is different from the version of HAL the STM32Cube framework uses. So some of the code generated is actually invalid within my platformio project.

How can I find out which version of the HAL framework platformio has installed?

@valeros please help

If you follow this path there is some STM docs in the form of an HTML file: ~/.platformio/packages/framework-stm32cube/f1/Release_Notes.html which suggests that the version I have installed is V1.7.0, but there is also this file ~/.platformio/packages/framework-stm32cube/package.json which suggests I am on version 2.0.181130. But this might an internal platformio versioning system?

I have the latest STSTM32 platform (v5.7), but the STM32Cube HAL library seems to be outdated. Some defines generated by STM32CubeMX (which is based on the latest version of STMCubeF4 - for the F4 series) are not yet defined in the version of STM32Cube HAL maintained in PIO.

Is there any non-destructive way to manually update this? Latest drivers are freely downloadable on ST website: STM32CubeF4 - STM32Cube MCU Package for STM32F4 series (HAL, Low-Layer APIs and CMSIS, USB, TCP/IP, File system, RTOS, Graphic - and examples running on ST boards) - STMicroelectronics

Thanks!

You might want to create an issue in GitHub so the framework can be brought up to date.