Serial monitor inconvenient

When you run a build, if you were looking at the serial monitor, the monitor comes back immediately and you can’t see the error messages.

Can that stop?

1 Like

It’s compiling successfully and failing to upload, and I can’t see the errors.

In the VSCode monitor, click the drop down which says “Monitor”,click the one that says “Build” for compiler stuff, and I think “Upload” for the upload.

Even better, click the build first. If all ok, then click to upload.

Cheers,
Norm

1 Like

I don’t see ‘Monitor’

What do you see along the top of the monitor window thats getting in your way?

If the drop down isn’t visible, click in the monitor window and CTRL-C to kill it. Then any key to close it.

Cheers,
Norm.

By ‘Monitor’, I assume you mean the serial monitor.

That has zero dropdowns.

Ctrl C stops the monitor, but it stays there. The log output is already gone, because the serial window opens.

Interesting. Maybe windows does thing differently? On Linux I compile, upload and run in VSCodium. I get three terminals at the bottom of the screen.

When the monitor starts, it displays some messages. One is “Type Ctrl-c to kill the terminal” (words to that effect). If I do, I get told to “press any key to close…”.

The drop down is ever so slightly highlighted in the image below.

Cheers,
Norm.

1 Like

Do you see anything like the above?

VSCode/VSCodium are exactly the same in this respect on Windows and Linux (and Mac, judging from your screenshot?). Joe probably just didn’t realise that the circled portion was a dropdown menu.

The underlying issue can’t be fixed though it seems, as VSCode apparently doesn’t report back that a task fails, so the PIO extension doesn’t know to not re-attach the serial monitor if it was connected prior to building. The only option at present is to not do a build while the serial monitor is attached, or switch back to the build log via the combo-box.

Good god no! I’d rather eat my own ear wax than use Apple kit! :rofl: I’m on Linux Mint 19.3.

However, when I’m developing/playing/experimenting, I build, then upload. If the upload worked ok, the monitor takes over if it was open previously. I find this useful as I don’t need to start it all the time.

My system never switches to monitor if the build fails. I know if I’ve changed anything and just upload, I’ll get a free build - but if I’ve got typos, errors etc, the monitor will kick in even when the upload failed.

I think Joe might be missing out the build phase and going straight to upload. That sounds like his problem.

Cheers,
Norm.

Okay, so I can find the output in that dropdown?
Thanks

Serial monitor works whenever I need it, but the default is to reopen the monitor.
You give it something to do, like build or upload, and it returns to monitor as soon as it completes that task. The only bother I had was losing the error messages forever. I knew they were still available without picking through logs.

I did not recognize that as a dropdown menu.

1 Like

I wonder if that’s a Windows thing. With me, I only get the monitor taking over after an upload, never with a build.

I’m using the buttons on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen.

Cheers,
Norm.