Recommendation for I2C display with solid software support

I’m looking for a display to connect to a microcontroller board, e.g. ESP32-CAM, Raspberry Pi Pico or Seeeduino Xiao, for testing purposes when the board runs standalone, i.e. I can’t use the serial monitor on my PC. Text display capabilities are a must, graphics is a plus. It can be small, but having an option to choose from many different models would be a plus. The main requirement is a solid software support, MicroPython in addition to C/C++ would be nice. I2C interface is probably the most sensible, but other options, e.g. serial, would be fine since it’s present on all the boards I listed. The display doesn’t have to be very cheap, I just need one for testing and will reuse it.

1 Like

In my opinion, the most used I²C display, which hence also has the best software support and most libraries written for it, is the SSD1306 OLED I²C display.

GitHub - adafruit/Adafruit_SSD1306: Arduino library for SSD1306 monochrome 128x64 and 128x32 OLEDs supports this display on Arduino for all boards that have Wire support (so, practically all).

SSD1306 is also one of the two displays with built-in Micropython support: https://github.com/micropython/micropython/blob/master/drivers/display/ssd1306.py. The other one being a far more complicated LCD.

1 Like

Is SSD1306 one of the targets for Adafruit GFX library? Would Adafruit GFX library be a good choice on high software level for simple graphics and text?

I added Adafruit SSD1306 to the project:

[env:pico]
platform = raspberrypi
board = pico
framework = arduino
monitor_speed = 115200
lib_deps = 
	mikalhart/Streaming@^1.0.0
	adafruit/Adafruit SSD1306@^2.5.4
build_unflags = -std=gnu++11
build_flags = -std=gnu++2a

Building an example with these headers:

#include <Arduino.h>
#include <Streaming.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <Adafruit_GFX.h>
#include <Adafruit_SSD1306.h>
#include <iostream>

I’m getting this error:

Compiling .pio/build/pico/libc44/Adafruit SSD1306/Adafruit_SSD1306.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/pico/FrameworkArduinoVariant/double_tap_usb_boot.cpp.o
.pio/libdeps/pico/Adafruit SSD1306/Adafruit_SSD1306.cpp:42:10: fatal error: pgmspace.h: No such file or directory

* Looking for pgmspace.h dependency? Check our library registry!
* CLI  > platformio lib search "header:pgmspace.h"
* Web  > https://registry.platformio.org/search?q=header:pgmspace.h

42 | #include <pgmspace.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
*** [.pio/build/pico/libc44/Adafruit SSD1306/Adafruit_SSD1306.cpp.o] Error 1
In file included from /home/paul/.platformio/packages/framework-arduino-mbed/cores/arduino/mbed/targets/TARGET_RASPBERRYPI/TARGET_RP2040/pico-sdk/rp2040/hardware_regs/include/hardware/platform_defs.h:12,
                 from /home/paul/.platformio/packages/framework-arduino-mbed/cores/arduino/mbed/targets/TARGET_RASPBERRYPI/TARGET_RP2040/pico-sdk/rp2_common/pico_platform/include/pico/platform.h:12,
                 from /home/paul/.platformio/packages/framework-arduino-mbed/cores/arduino/mbed/targets/TARGET_RASPBERRYPI/TARGET_RP2040/pico-sdk/common/pico_base/include/pico.h:19,
                 from /home/paul/.platformio/packages/framework-arduino-mbed/variants/RASPBERRY_PI_PICO/double_tap_usb_boot.

The four options provided by PlatformIO Registry seem to be unrelated. What is the solution?

Same as per Pico `build_flags = -I pgmspace.h` Doesn't affect build - "pgmspace.h: No such file or directory" – the library is written for the Arduino-Pico core, not ArduinoCore-mbed.

Alternatively use the Arduino-Pico per Arduino-Pico (Earlephilhower) support, PicoProbe Debugging by maxgerhardt · Pull Request #36 · platformio/platform-raspberrypi · GitHub.

1 Like

I’m using Raspberry Pi Pico. I can’t figure out the compiler flag needed. None of these works:

build_flags = -Iinclude/pgmspace.h
build_flags = -Iinclude/ pgmspace.h
build_flags = -Iinclude pgmspace.h

Only

build_flags = -Iinclude

is needed but the pgmspace.h file needs to be placed in the include folder of the project.

2 Likes

Thank you, it builds now.