Platformio not really compiling, getting error

Greetings,
I am at a loss on how to resolve this message. It is probably something really basic, but the solution is eluding me.

I get the following message, it started out of the blue and I think it was soon after an update.

Linking .pio\build\megaatmega2560\firmware.elf
Building .pio\build\megaatmega2560\firmware.hex
Checking size .pio\build\megaatmega2560\firmware.elf
Advanced Memory Usage is available via “PlatformIO Home > Project Inspect”
RAM: [ ] 0.1% (used 9 bytes from 8192 bytes)
Flash: [ ] 0.3% (used 662 bytes from 253952 bytes)
==================================================== [SUCCESS] Took 3.12 seconds ====================================================

Processing env1 ()

Error: Please specify platform for ‘env1’ environment
The terminal process “C:\Users\ia-dell.platformio\penv\Scripts\platformio.exe ‘run’” terminated with exit code: 1.

Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Israel

Hi there
I’m also very new to this. But could you post your code and the platformio.ini file.
That way some of the experts here will have a better idea of what the error could be.
Thank you

The compiling seems to run just fine, are just building or are you also trying to upload? In this case it’s entirely possible that a badly configured environment only shows up after compiling, but as @meathome2017 already said there is no way at telling more without at least the platformio.ini.

I did a search for the plarformio.ini file and noticed that there about 10 of them. I noticed the ones I created trying to create a new project to attempt to figure this out has a small platformio.ini file in the 400-500 bytes byte size. others were about 25kb. I used one of the larger projects and it compiled. to get rid of the unknown project files do I just delete the files and associated folders thru file manager or is there an option in platformio to remove projects and their files?

Seems like you have a malformed platformio.ini without a platform = .. linelike

[env:env1]
board = uno 
framework = arduino
; no platform = atmelavr line

What exact platformio.ini produces the error?