PlatformIO Installation failed

Hi. I’m new to PlatformIO and just wanted to try it out. I installed Visual Studio Code and chose Extension->PlatformIO-IDE.

Started the installation and inmidst (or at end) I’m getting a python error:

Forgot to mention: Platform is Windows 10 Pro (in a Parallels VM)

Click on “Report a Problem”. It should auto-open a github issue text for you that contains the full stack trace. Either post a new issue with that window directly or post the output here. Otherwise we can’t tell what exact error you’re having.

Edit: The log is saying something about Python 2.5… This version is ancient. PlatformIO is supposed to install its own Python3 interpreter… maybe bootstrapping fails though. Do you really have Python 2.5 installed on your computer?

1 Like

I thought that wouldn’t matter, what python version I have actually installed during the installation log PlatformIO says it’s downloading its own python version.

Typing python from the CMD-prompt I’m getting a 2.7.14

C:\Users\kuku>python
Python 2.7.14 (v2.7.14:84471935ed, Sep 16 2017, 20:19:30) [MSC v.1500 32    bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> quit()

I also installed python 3.9 a minute befor which didn’t change anything.

How can I retrigger the installation error? I did not quite get the up-popping git report window and how to use it.

Well there are definitely files / libraries being pulled in from C:\Program Files\csvn\Python25\lib. What does that program do? Is it in your system’s PATH environment variable somehow?

Did you try to remove the extension from VSCode again and reinstall it?

Thanks. I was able to install the PlatformIO extension now. I had some python 2.5 installation residues in my PATH variable and although the installer installs its own python, python seems like it has to be there before the python package is installed. So I think the installation process should be independent of python at all or it should be changed to work with all pythons that could be present on a system.

It cannot be demanded from a user to change his or her system configuration
just for installing the PlatformIO extension.

I consider it a bug.

Please open one in Issues · platformio/platformio-vscode-ide · GitHub.

1 Like

You need to put Python 3.9 ahead of Python 2.5 in the environment path. Pio picks up the first one in the installation process.

1 Like