PlatformIO IDE installation fails on vscode

Hello.
I’m trying to install platformio on vscode as extension but the installation fails with the following error:

Any hints on how to fix this ?

Thanks

1 Like

These filenames seem to be getting rather long. Can you enable Win32 long paths, reboot and retry?

https://www.microfocus.com/documentation/filr/filr-4/filr-desktop/index.html?page=/documentation/filr/filr-4/filr-desktop/t47bx2ogpfz7.html

Hello max, it did indeed fix the issue!
Perhaps could be nice to point this in the troubleshooting section?
Thanks

For reference, could you provide the length of your Windows username? Because I had no issues with just Max but longer names might be running into this problem.

Sure, it’s 15 chars long.

1 Like

I’ve opened an issue per

2 Likes

Thanks,
Today I also have this problem
I was getting these errors and fixed enabling WIN32 long path
Error: error: subprocess-exited-with-error python setup.py bdist_wheel did not run successfully. exit code: 1 [417 lines of output] running bdist_wheel running build running build_py creating build creating build\lib creating build\lib\platformio copying platformio\app.py → build\lib\platformio copying platformio\cache.py → build\lib\platformio copying platformio\cli.py → build\lib\platformio copying platformio\compat.py → build\lib\platformio copying platformio\exception.py → build\lib\platformio copying platformio\fs.py → build\lib\platformio copying platformio\http.py → build\lib\platformio copying platformio\maintenance…

CC @ivankravets for attention, it seems that long usernames directly fail installation in the VSCode extension installation. The installer script may need to check whether Win32 long paths are enabled.

1 Like

Is this the new issue? How did you realize that the problem is linked with a long path? I have not found any information in the provided log.

Could you open PlatformIO Core CLI in VSCode and provide an output from the following command?

pio system info

@ivankravets As soon i’ve enable long path support, PIO immediately installed after hours of trying.

See my request here

pio system info

PlatformIO Core 6.1.7
Python 3.9.10-final.0
System Type windows_amd64
Platform Windows-10
File System Encoding utf-8
Locale Encoding cp1252
PlatformIO Core Directory C:\Users\redacted.platformio
PlatformIO Core Executable C:\Users\redacted.platformio\penv\Scripts\platformio.exe
Python Executable C:\Users\redacted.platformio\penv\Scripts\python.exe
Global Libraries 0
Development Platforms 2
Tools & Toolchains 10

I can open pio system info but to install the io platform it still fails as above

We have fixed this issue in the upcoming PlatformIO Core 6.1.8. Nevertheless, we also published PlatformIO Core 6.1.7 as a “wheel” component to the PyPi registry. It should fix the issue.

Could anyone in this thread remove back the fix “Win32 long paths” which you applied before? Also, remove C:/Users/%USERNAME%/.platformio folder. Restart VSCode.

Does it work now?

its working, i have successfully installed it,
Thank You

1 Like