PlatformIO IDE for VSCode 2.0 Beta – Help us with testing!

Sorry, this is our bug. Please upgrade to Beta 3 PlatformIO IDE for VSCode 2.0 Beta – Help us with testing! - #8 by ivankravets

1 Like

Can confirm that fixed it. Hazards of running a beta version :wink: Loving the Tasks panel that doesn’t need you to switch to the PIO sidebar panel, and the grouped tasks listings!

The next beta of PlatformIO IDE for VSCode 2.0.0-beta.4 is out!

What is New

• New Project Environment Switcher
    • Switch between project environments declared in platformio.ini project configuration file (issue #544)
    • Activate IntelliSense service based on the current environment
    • Automatically generate a debugging configuration for the active environment

Upgrading to 2.0.0-beta.4

Please follow Install Beta steps in PlatformIO IDE for VSCode 2.0 Beta – Help us with testing!

Please note that you will need to update all dev-platforms via PIO Home > Platform > Updates or pio update to see new Platform tasks in explorer.

Regards,
Your friends at PlatformIO.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! :blush: You should love Beta 4 - see PlatformIO IDE for VSCode 2.0 Beta – Help us with testing!

We don’t plan to add more features. If there are no critical issues, we will release it soon :rocket:

1 Like

Yes, Beta4 has added a much desired feature! No issues so far (give me time … I’ll break it! :rofl: :).

Just a clarification if you don’t mind of intended operation… using the below screenshot for reference… when I click 1 to set the ‘active environment’ … should BOTH 2 and 3 build only that environment, or just 3 (and the keyboard shortcut)? As I got myself confused when 3 worked fine, and then later hit 2, and it promptly built all eight environments (including rebuild of 7… since I just let it go)…

In other words, is 2 intended to always refer to ‘build all’, and 3/keyboard shortcut just the ‘active environment’ (1)?

1 Like

The next beta of PlatformIO IDE for VSCode 2.0.0-beta.5 is out!

What is New

• Added “All” suffix to multi-environment common tasks in PlatformIO Tasks Explorer
  • Fixed an error “ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘~/.platformio/homestate.json’”

Upgrading to 2.0.0-beta.5

Please follow Install Beta steps in PlatformIO IDE for VSCode 2.0 Beta – Help us with testing!

Please note that you will need to update all dev-platforms via PIO Home > Platform > Updates or pio update to see new Platform tasks in explorer.

Regards,
Your friends at PlatformIO.

1 Like

Yes, this is correct behavior otherwise we will not be able to process ALL environments. For example, quick deployment, quick tests, etc. I’ve just published a new Beta 5. Thanks that reported this issue:

1 Like

Hi @ivankravets! I just installed PIO 2.0.0-beta5 and Core 4.4.0a3, compiled all my projects, so far so good! The whole process was flawless. I really like the “PLATFORMIO TASKS” side windows and also the ability to change the environment, I was missing these features!!

I would like to give pio package pack/publish a test ride, is the library registry ready yet?

Oh btw, I use VSCode 1.46 and macOS 10.15.5.

2 Likes

Great, that’s what I thought it was. And the fix in Beta5 to append ‘All’ only when there are multiple environments is perfect. Thank you! :heart:

1 Like

Thanks! We will contact you. I hope we should have something public this week.

2 Likes

A thought… Would ‘General’ be better than ‘Generic’? I was initially going to say ‘Basic’ (to compliment ‘Advanced’), but these are the tasks in use all the time… so not really ‘basic’! :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks! Fixed! I’m not so expert in English :frowning:

2 Likes

If you need some help, feel free to ask!

1 Like

I’ll help too, as long as Ivan doesn’t ask me to write any Urkranian docs! And with breaking… er, testing the universal library… :rofl: :rofl:

btw, a behaviour change if possible… I noticed in the other topic about file system upload to the ESP8266 that it’s now under the environment specific ‘Platform’ tasks… which unfortunately doesn’t show under ‘Generic’ (now General) branch even if there is only one environment in the project. Is it possible to change that behaviour so it does show under the general branch in that instance? Otherwise you have to dig into the environment block even when there is only one environment.

1 Like

Hi @ivankravets.

While digging into PIO’s guts, I found that my terminal wouldn’t recognize pio. I opened my .zshrc file and found this:

#compdef pio
_pio() {
  eval $(env COMMANDLINE="${words[1,$CURRENT]}" _PIO_COMPLETE=complete-zsh  pio)
}
if [[ "$(basename -- ${(%):-%x})" != "_pio" ]]; then
  compdef _pio pio
fi 

So far, so good. Out of curiosity, I ran _pio command and got this:

I’m not good enough at shell to dig further, but I will definitely try :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Did you run the platformio system completion install command to get that? (which I only of know because I remember mention of the auto completion from the release notes for 4.3.4)

No, because the piece of code I found in my .zshrc was likely written there by beta installer. I keep an eye on my .zshrc file and often tweak it, so I know this code is definitely not mine :grin:

From what I guess this piece of code sets up code completion for zsh, in order to run, for example, platformio system completion install from anywhere :grin:.

You need to add PIO Core to your shell as well. Redirecting...

1 Like

Dang it… I was going to say that also! I just installed zsh and ran though this… and yeah,

#compdef platformio
_platformio() {
  eval $(env COMMANDLINE="${words[1,$CURRENT]}" _PLATFORMIO_COMPLETE=complete-zsh  platformio)
}
if [[ "$(basename -- ${(%):-%x})" != "_platformio" ]]; then
  compdef _platformio platformio
fi

is all related to the platformio system completion install command (it installs _pio if you use pio instead of platformio)… the 0.3.2 installer didn’t add it though, but I’m not running the beta on this system, so maybe that was it. Either way, I then also needed to add the platformio directory to the path… i.e. export PATH=$PATH:/home/pfeerick/.platformio/penv/bin … and then when I run platformio commands, it auto-completes commands or give suggestions on multiple options. Very nice indeed! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could PIO’s new installer run platformio system completion install automatically instead?