PlatformIO disappeared from VSCode status bar

Try removing the extension again but also delete C:\Users\<user>\.platformio, then reinstall the extention.

1 Like

It didn’t work. I even rebooted PC while pio was uninstalled.

You’re running plain Microsoft VSCode directly downloaded from Microsoft, not VSCodium or something? What’s the OS and VSCode version?

Screenshot (3)

Screenshot (5)

I’m using the same OS and VSCode versions and don’t experience any problems like that :confused:.

When the PlatformIO is reinstalled in the above way, and you go to VSCode → Help → Toggle Developer Tools → Console, what’s the content?

These are repeated frequently in the js console. Is there some other pane in the inspector you want to see?

rejected promise not handled within 1 second: 

Error: command 'platformio-ide.build' already exists
workbench.desktop.main.js:71 [Extension Host] stack trace: 

at o.registerCommand (c:\Users\mark\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\workbench\api\node\extensionHostProcess.js:83:60904)
	at Object.registerCommand (c:\Users\mark\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\workbench\api\node\extensionHostProcess.js:97:30995)
	at I.registerTaskBasedCommands (c:\Users\mark\.vscode\extensions\platformio.platformio-ide-2.4.3\dist\extension.js:1:10042)
	at I.refresh (c:\Users\mark\.vscode\extensions\platformio.platformio-ide-2.4.3\dist\extension.js:1:7566)
	at runMicrotasks (<anonymous>)
	at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5
workbench.desktop.main.js:2693 [[object Object]]
command 'platformio-ide.build' already exists
$onExtensionRuntimeError @ workbench.desktop.main.js:2693
workbench.desktop.main.js:2693 
	at o.registerCommand (c:\Users\mark\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\workbench\api\node\extensionHostProcess.js:83:60904)
	at Object.registerCommand (c:\Users\mark\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\workbench\api\node\extensionHostProcess.js:97:30995)
	at I.registerTaskBasedCommands (c:\Users\mark\.vscode\extensions\platformio.platformio-ide-2.4.3\dist\extension.js:1:10042)
	at I.refresh (c:\Users\mark\.vscode\extensions\platformio.platformio-ide-2.4.3\dist\extension.js:1:7566)
	at runMicrotasks (<anonymous>)
	at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)
$onExtensionRuntimeError @ workbench.desktop.main.js:2693
workbench.desktop.main.js:71 [Extension Host] runCommand C:\Users\mark\.platformio\penv\Scripts\python.exe Array(2) Object

And in VSCode, you only have one project folder in the workspace? Not sure how Error: command 'platformio-ide.build' already exists could have gotten there, maybe @ivankravets knows more…

I only have one project folder in the workspace.

FYI: I just did a fresh install of windows 10, wsl, ubuntu, vscode, and platformio. I cloned my project folder. This problem still has the exact same symptoms.

EDIT: I cloned an old project that worked well before and it didn’t have the alien either. The old project couldn’t build which is not a problem with my current one. The vscode window had the build icon on the bottom but when I click it I get the error command 'platformio-ide.build' not found. Oh well.

I’d be happy to zip up my project folder if anyone wants to try it.

Does this appear too when you use PIO Home → New Project wizard with a e.g Arduino Uno project?

I just tried that with no luck.

I hope @ivankravets can resolve that maybe in a session? I’m baffled how this can happen on a fresh installation.

1 Like

It means PlatformIO IDE for VSCode can’t complete the initialization process for your project. Please click on the “terminal” icon (bottom status bar) and type

pio project init --ide vscode

Do you see any errors?

Thx. I reloaded that project and this time there was no error. But I’ve saved your fix in my notes.

Any ideas about the missing alien?

I have new info. When I do the vscode command “Platformio: Focus on project tasks view” the task view shows up with the alien on the side. But as soon as I do any task the alien disappears again.

I can’t reproduce this issue :frowning: Do you use the latest VSCode? This is a feature of VSCode, not PlatformIO IDE extension.

I downloaded vscode a few days ago so I assume it is the latest. It is version 1.68.1.

Oh well. I can work by starting the tasks from F1. I switch computers often so maybe some other install will work.

Could this be it? That you accidentally dragged and dropped it into another activity button?

Im confused now, its not ant , it`s an alien ?? :slight_smile:

The docs call it the “Ant icon”.