PlatformIO Core 5.0 šŸš€

We are happy to announce the major release of PlatformIO Core with full support for the PlatformIO Trusted Registry, SCons 4.0, custom targets, and refactored package management system! Read more :point_right:

1 Like

Ooooooh thatā€™s todayā€™s good news! Thank you PIO team!!

2 Likes

Great news! Thanks for your awesome work.
Without PlatformIO Tasmota would not be possible.
Friendly greetings from the Tasmota crew.

1 Like

Thank you too for using PlatformIO! :blush:

P.S: Have you tried your newly submitted packages using a new dependency declaration?

platform_packages = 
    jason2866/framework-arduinoespressif8266 @ 2.7.4.1

Does it work?

Yes, it does work. It is already activated since today in actual Tasmota development branch
Ahh, not with exact version numbering. 2.7.4.1 seems is too long. Generates errors when trying to do.
With 2.7.4 it does work

Downloading...
Unpacking...
Tool Manager: framework-arduinoespressif8266 @ 2.7.4+1 has been installed!
1 Like

PlatformIO Core 5.0.1 is out!

• Added support for ā€œownerā€ requirement when declaring dependencies using library.json
  • Fixed an issue when using a custom git/ssh package with platform_packages option (issue #3624)
  • Fixed an issue with ā€œImportError: cannot import name ā€˜_get_backendā€™ from ā€˜cryptography.hazmat.backendsā€™ā€ when using Remote Development on RaspberryPi device (issue #3652)
  • Fixed an issue when pio package unpublish command crashes (issue #3660)
  • Fixed an issue when the package manager tries to install a built-in library from the registry (issue #3662)
  • Fixed an issue with incorrect value for C++ language standard in IDE projects when an in-progress language standard is used (issue #3653)
  • Fixed an issue with ā€œInvalid simple block (semantic_version)ā€ from library dependency that refs to an external source (repository, ZIP/Tar archives) (issue #3658)
  • Fixed an issue when can not remove update or remove external dev-platform using PlatformIO Home (issue #3663)

See PlatformIO 5.0.1 Release Notes for details.

Upgrade

• PlatformIO IDE: Left Sidebar > PlatformIO (icon) > Quick Access > Upgrade PlatformIO Core
  • Terminal: Please run pio upgrade command in terminal.

Regards,
Your friends at PlatformIO

PlatformIO Core 5.0.2 is out!

• Initialize a new project or update the existing passing working environment name and its options (issue #3686)
  • Automatically build PlatformIO Core extra Python dependencies on a host machine if they are missed in the registry (issue #3700)
  • Improved ā€œcore.callā€ RPC for PlatformIO Home (issue #3671)
  • Fixed a ā€œPermissionError: [WinError 5]ā€ on Windows when an external repository is used with lib_deps option (issue #3664)
  • Fixed a ā€œKeyError: ā€˜versionsā€™ā€ when dependency does not exist in the registry (issue #3666)
  • Fixed an issue with GCC linker when ā€œnativeā€ dev-platform is used in pair with library dependencies (issue #3669)
  • Fixed an ā€œAssertionError: ensure_dir_existsā€ when checking library updates from simultaneous subprocesses (issue #3677)
  • Fixed an issue when pio package publish command removes original archive after submitting to the registry (issue #3716)
  • Fixed an issue when multiple pio lib install command with the same local library results in duplicates in lib_deps (issue #3715)
  • Fixed an issue with a ā€œwrongā€ timestamp in device monitor output using ā€œtimeā€ filter (issue #3712)

See PlatformIO 5.0.2 Release Notes for details.

Upgrade

• PlatformIO IDE: Left Sidebar > PlatformIO (icon) > Quick Access > Upgrade PlatformIO Core

Regards,

PlatformIO Core 5.0.3 is out!

• Added an error selector for Sublime Text build runner (issue #3733)
  • Generate a working ā€œprojectEnvNameā€ for PlatformIO IDEā€™s debugger for VSCode
  • Force VSCodeā€™s intelliSenseMode to ā€œgcc-x64ā€ when GCC toolchain is used
  • Print ignored test suites and environments in the test summary report only in verbose mode (issue #3726)
  • Fixed an issue when the package manager tries to install a built-in library from the registry (issue #3662)
  • Fixed an issue when pio package pack ignores some folders (issue #3730)

See PlatformIO 5.0.3 Release Notes for details.

Upgrade

Regards,

1 Like

@ivankravets just upgraded to Platformio Core 5.0.3 but not ā€œPlatformio Homeā€ does not work anymore.

When I run:
platformio.exe -c clion home

it opens the web browser and then I see a page that says: ā€œLoadingā€¦ā€ and it never ends loading.

Any help please?

Please open PlatformIO Core CLI and type:

pio system info

@ivankravets thanks for the answer, I appreciate it.
pio system info

PlatformIO Core 5.0.3
Python 3.7.2-final.0
System Type windows_x86
Platform Windows-10
File System Encoding utf-8
Locale Encoding cp1252
PlatformIO Core Directory C:\Users\sblantipodi.platformio
PlatformIO Core Executable C:\Users\sblantipodi.platformio\penv\Scripts\platformio.exe
Python Executable c:\users\sblantipodi.platformio\penv\scripts\python.exe
Global Libraries 0
Development Platforms 3
Tools & Toolchains 18

Please file issue at https://github.com/platformio/platformio-core/issues and put reference to this thread. Thanks.

PlatformIO Core 5.0.4 is out!

• Added ā€œCoreā€ suffix when showing PlatformIO Core version using pio --version command
  • Improved .ccls configuration file for Emacs, Vim, and Sublime Text integrations
  • Updated analysis tools:
    • Cppcheck v2.3 with improved C++ parser and several new MISRA rules
    • PVS-Studio v7.11 with new diagnostics and updated mass suppression mechanism
  • Show a warning message about deprecated support for Python 2 and Python 3.5
  • Do not provide ā€œintelliSenseModeā€ option when generating configuration for VSCode C/C++ extension
  • Fixed a ā€œgit-sh-setup: file not foundā€ error when installing project dependencies from Git VCS (issue #3740)
  • Fixed an issue with package publishing on Windows when Unix permissions are not preserved (issue #3776)

See PlatformIO 5.0.4 Release Notes for details.

Upgrade

Regards,

1 Like

Iā€™m curious which edition will finally get rid of the infamous ā€œplatformio ide build command not foundā€ that crops up if you look at it sideways like:

1. When you use open folder instead of going through the pig-slow platformio home page, adding a project to the silly Projects list, and then opening from there.

2. When you open a project as part of a VSCode workspace

3. When the moon is full and it just decides it doesnā€™t want to work anymore, forcing you to delete the .platformio folder

Or when it hangs forever creating a new project.
Or when it just decides it doesnā€™t want to download platform or framework dependencies for an existing project, forcing you to create a new never-to-be-used project (i have projects named goddamnit, goddamnit2, etc) with the required platform and framework settings just to trigger a download so your other project will work.

Because right now, while youā€™re busy adding features to an unstable product, Iā€™m deciding that $100 for Visual GDB in the alternative is a much better option than Platform IO.

$100 saves a lot of pain, compared to ā€œfreeā€+endless headaches.

get it together.

Hi @codewitch-honey-cris,

Thanks for the response here. Before we start discussing a possible solution for your issue, could you explain in a few words what is your motivation for writing this?

The reviews go to the history, and no one will see them soon. Are you open to discuss how we could help to solve your issue? We have the opposite philosophy in the market - we give developers a choice. If you are happy with other IDE solutions, we are happy for you.

Regards,
Your friends at PlaformIO.

1 Like

Absolutely. PlatformIO consistently asks me to rate it immediately after it fails spectacularly, so finally I decided to. I know how to fix PlatformIO when it fails. Itā€™s just that it likes to do it so much, no matter the system, the operating system, or how fresh the install is. Itā€™s at least a weekly thing on one at least one of my systems, and thatā€™s if Iā€™m lucky. I shouldnā€™t have to be an expert in recovering from failures that shouldnā€™t be happening. If I would have known Platform I/O was so high maintenance I would have never used it in the first place. Fortunately, Iā€™m getting my current client thatā€™s still using it to move away from it, and then the divorce will be clean. I just hope other people donā€™t make the mistake of investing in this time sink like I have.

I know how to solve my issues. EVERY TIME. Thatā€™s why this is no longer an issue for your forums. The problem is they keep happening because you have 10 pounds of crap on a 5 pound architecture and youā€™re adding features rather than shoring up what you have and making it robust.

Hereā€™s a tip from someone with a little bit of professional experience writing commercial code: When your clients keep coming to you with the same problem and your solution continues to be ā€œdelete the .platformio folder and reinstallā€ then you have some work to do, because thatā€™s not a tenable place for a product to be. I donā€™t know how much of that applies to the open source offerings, but maybe it should.

Iā€™m happy to discuss the issue of ONGOING failures. Not specific failures that I already know how to work around - i described them in the prior post already and implied the solutions, but the fact that they keep happening is what Iā€™m interested in.

Is it the only reason why you stopped using PlatformIO? If PlatformIO works without issues on your machine, do you see any benefits over the paid solutions (just ignore price)?

Yes, ongoing stability issues are the reason Iā€™m moving away from platform IO.

There are other things I do not like about it - a lot I donā€™t like about it in fact, but it pales in comparison to the stability problems. I can deal with the pig-slow loading screen. The silly UI that forces me to choose a project to add a library to when i only have one project open in the editor is annoying but workable. Things like that are minor in comparison. The biggest secondary issue I have with platform IO is the silent failure when creating a new project, where it just hangs forever.

But none of that matters if the projects periodically just stop building. Or if i canā€™t move projects from one machine to another without reinstalling platform IO on the target machine. etc. These are the things that keep me from being able to work until i fix them, and thatā€™s whatā€™s not acceptable. I canā€™t keep coming to my clients with ā€œiā€™ll be a few hours later with this deliverable because Platform I/O is acting up againā€

I actually have to AnyDesk into one clientā€™s machine to run platformIO for him to load code onto the hardware weā€™re prototyping despite him being an electrical engineer with some software experience, because platformIO is so prone to acting up heā€™s just done dealing with it.

Iā€™m done too.

The best part of Platform IO is actually VS Code, not platform IO. Everything Platform IO does better than arduino is because of VS Code and related extensions. Things like intellisense.