PlatformIO Core 4.0 Beta

We are happy to announce the first beta of the upcoming PlatformIO Core 4.0! :rocket:

platformio_core_4_0

Over 100 changed files since 3.6.7 release. The main reason for the huge refactoring process was a goal to make PlatformIO Core compatible between Python 2 and Python 3. Mostly, it relates to the operating system with non-UTF8 locale, or when file system encoding differs from default operating encoding (some Windows OS), or when project path contains non-ASCII chars.

The grandiose addition to PlatformIO Core 4.0 is open sourcing of PIO Plus tools. Now, PIO Unified Debugger and PIO Unit Testing are the part of main source code. All contributions are welcome! :blush:

Also, we added over 30+ new features and fixed all known issues.

PlatformIO Core 4.0 is the best what has been created since the 2014 year by PlatformIO Team. This is a solid foundation for an unpredictable and exciting future!

- The PlatformIO Team

Quick Links

Try It Now

PlatformIO IDE

• VSCode: Please open VSCode Settings and set platformio-ide.useDevelopmentPIOCore to true.
  • Atom: “Menu PlatformIO: Settings > PlatformIO IDE > Use development version of PlatformIO Core”

Also, please do not forget to restart your PlatformIO IDE.

PlatformIO Core

Please run command below or check documentation:

platformio upgrade --dev
2 Likes

So just a few changes (for the better, naturally!)? :smiley: :laughing:

One quick question… is it possible to run this side by side with a stable build of platformio? Was thinking about running the beta in the VSCode Insiders build, and the stable on the regular build… but I suspect it won’t work since PIO uses the %HOME_DIR%\.platformio folder to store stuff in? Otherwise, I’ll just bite the bullet and beta it is…

It will! You can create 2 different Python virtual environments with own PIO Cores. These environments are isolated. See Redirecting...

Then in VSCode please set platformio-ide.useBuiltinPIOCore to false and add path to platformio-ide.customPATH where platformio.exe is located. It should something like C:/my/drive/venvstable/Scripts.