PlatformIO broken after v3.3.3 update tried to install

Hi,

I was using PlatformIO IDE extension in VSCode absolutely fine yesterday. I opened it today and VSCode automatically tried to update it to v3.3.3 but failed. Now I can’t build my project or create new ones etc. The errors it gave me are:

Error:   error: subprocess-exited-with-error

Building wheel for platformio (pyproject.toml) did not run successfully.
  exit code: 1

[593 lines of output]
  running bdist_wheel
  running build
  running build_py
  creating build
  creating build\lib
  creating build\lib\platformio
  copying platformio\app.py -> build\lib\platformio
  copying platformio\cache.py -> build\lib\platformio
  copying platformio\cli.py -> build\lib\platformio
  copying platformio\compat.py -> build\lib\platformio
  copying platformio\exception.py -> build\lib\platformio
  copying platformio\fs.py -> build\lib\platformio
  copying platformio\http.py -> build\lib\platformio
  copying plat...
Error: Could not start PIO Home server: Timeout error
	at Timeout._onTimeout (c:\Users\MyUsername\.vscode\extensions\platformio.platformio-ide-3.3.3-win32-x64\node_modules\platformio-node-helpers\dist\index.js:1:10800)
	at listOnTimeout (node:internal/timers:569:17)
	at process.processTimers (node:internal/timers:512:7)...

I’ve tried running VSCode as an admin, reverting to v3.3.2 and uninstalling/re-installing the PlatformIO IDE extension but it made no difference. Is anyone able to help please?

Thanks

Remove the PIO extension in VSCode. Delete C:\Users\<user>\.platformio completely. Reinstall the PIO VSCode extension. Wait for reinstall.

Thanks, I just found that suggestion in another post and tried it. But I still get the same error. Any idea where the log file is so I can get the full error?

I managed to fix it by installing Python manually and then reinstalling PlatformIO.

I got it working immediately by enabling win10 to long pathnames: See here:

https://www.microfocus.com/documentation/filr/filr-4/filr-desktop/t47bx2ogpfz7.html

2 Likes

Hello everyone

Please provide some guidance with the following error after the update to v3.3.3

My PIO also started to fail with V3.3.3. I have tried the following:

• Reverting to v3.3.2 and uninstalling/re-installing the PlatformIO IDE extension
  • Uninstall and install Python 3.11 manually via Anaconda
  • Upgraded wheel and setuptools via pip
  • Delete C:\Users\<user>\.platformio completely.

None of them worked

I get the following error with wheel:

Any help is highly appreciated.

I have uninstalled Anaconda and manually installed Python 3.12.1 from the official website. After deleting C:\Users<user>.platformio and installing the extension again from VS code, it seems I have managed to successfully install it (at least HOME opens properly and was able to open my project)

hi everyone, this helped me, i deleted first penv and python3 in C:\Users<user>.platformio directory, enabled the windows long path and it works again. thank you a lot