PIO Unified Debugger

This is not a problem of PIO Core or even GDB. This issue is linked with on-board CMSIS-DAP interface. I have a few other boards based on CMSIS-DAP and they work very fast. Would be good if you contact with ARM mbed engineer and ask why this board is slow for debugging. Maybe, they will propose new bootloader/firmware.

P.S: Thanks a lot for the feedback. I’ll release NXP LPC development platform with a new mbed v5.4.5.

Any ideas on what it would take to get the debugger working with a Teensy 3.2? This board uses an external CPU to do an image upload via USB, not sure if additional pins for SWD are brought out, or if they can be used at all while the USB upload circuitry is in place.

See

It seems that Teensy 3.5/3.6 has debug pins.

1 Like

I am working with the LPCxpresso1549 (lpc1549)

It has the same debugger built into it as the other Xpresso boards.

Please consider for support and/or point me in direction of how I can help.

Thank you!

Please file a feature request here and we will explain how to enable debugging for LPCxpresso1549.

Thanks!

Is it possible to incude support for the Sodaq ExploRer board? It uses a SAMD21 microcontroller from Microchip.
I’m developing with it and I’m really missing having a debugger. I use platformio with the Atom text editor

Thanks!!

How are you going to debug this board? It does not have soldered SWD connector, not saying about debugging USB port via CMSIS-DAP.

You are correcct, there is an SWD chip but no pins soldered onto the board. The schematics show the TC2030-IDC-NL unit. According to the Sodaq documentation the board can be debugged using the MCU Reset, SWCLK, SWDIO pins on this unit. However, without solderable connectors it will be difficult to connect to debug it.

I may acquire a Sodaq ONE instead, as this has sodlered SWD pins which can be connected via a Segger J-Link EDU module.

Where did you find it? Could you point me?

Yes I can. Here is the source for where I found that it can be done on a Sodaq ONE: SODAQ ONE Debugging Possibilities - ONE - SODAQ Forum

You can also see proof of this in the PIN definitions on the Sodaq documentation as well:

I received one of these boards today. I still need to get a Segger J-Link EDU module though. Hopefully Platformio supports debugging on it.

Also, here is is a screenshot of the Sodaq ExpLoRer, showing the SWD (unsoldered).

The full schematic can be found at:
http://support.sodaq.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Explorer_schematic_rev5b.pdf It would be good to find some way to connect this up to the Segger J-Link EDU module as well.

Done!

Could you try development version?

1. Install PlatformIO IDE, we recommend for VSCode.
  2. Open PIO Home and navigate to Platforms > Installed
  3. Uninstall current “Atmel SAM”
  4. On the same page (PIO Home > Platforms > Installed), click on “Advanced Installation”
  5. Install https://github.com/platformio/platform-atmelsam.git
  6. Install JLink GDB Server and add it to environment PATH
  7. Open system terminal and check JLinkGDBServerCL.exe --version or JLinkGDBServer --version (depending on OS).
  8. If JLink Server is correctly installed, start debugging with PIO.

Does it work?

1 Like

Hey there! I just joined a course requiring us to work with an ATMega16. I would really like to use this debugging tool, but it doesn’t seem like there is support for this specific model. :slight_smile: It is listed as “mightycore16” as the board name.

Sorry for not linking anything, but I am not sure which link you want?

I would like to request support for it. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Please follow us on https://twitter.com/PlatformIO_Org for the news. We have AVR in our TODO list.

1 Like

How do I remove the debugger ?
I am trying to get a clean, minimum version that has nothing that will disappear in 30 days. currently the software is reporting 23 days to failure.

I have loaded a few sketches, and spend a few minutes a day seeing how this program works (very little success) and I cannot devote any time to a program that will automatically fail in 30 days without renewal

If you don’t use it, you will not see any messages after trial period.

I would offer a suggestion:
do not have it turn on during the first install.
have the user become familiar with the basic program and then when they come to need it, let them turn it on, let the trial period start when the need arises.

as a note, you my friend, have grabbed a tiger by the tail when you put this out for the world.
it is easy to find fault and to criticize, but just the fact that people are using it to find what they want to complain about means you are doing good, there is a need for this and that you are making a difference. I truly hope that this reaches the point of everyday use for throngs of us who need this sort of software. so, THANK YOU for your efforts.

We don’t turn on it by default. Your trial period starts when you create PIO Account which is required only for PIO Plus features.

Sorry, I never replied to this,

I have been using it successfully for many months now. Thank you for making those changes, it has been an invaluable tool in my development. Using Atom it worked perfectly without any installations, just pressed the debugging button and it worked.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

1 Like

Hi, would you also add support for the Heltec WiFi Kit 32? http://www.heltec.cn/index.php/project/wifi_kit_32/

Please file a feature request here Issues · platformio/platform-espressif32 · GitHub