PIO : Cannot upload to Arduino R4 Wifi while Arduino IDE works : same computer (MacBook Pro Intel)

Switching to PIO from Arduino IDE 2.x, have not used PIO for a couple of years, did all fresh installs.
my upload from PIO fails claiming it cant find a device at the port; the device is there, Arduino IDE uploads the same code just fine
MacBook Pro Intel based, used to work with PIO and other bards just fine.

Here is the snapshot from the upload output.

Looking for upload port…
Auto-detected: /dev/cu.usbmodemF412FAA051902
Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port /dev/cu.usbmodemF412FAA051902
Uploading .pio/build/uno_r4_wifi/firmware.bin
No device found on cu.usbmodemF412FAA051902

Again, the device is visible to the system, the port is identified correctly,
using the default upload protocol sam-ba

any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Hi @markus-wolf,
Not necessary words of wisdom from me :slight_smile: LOL, but i too have have intermittent issues with platformio and ports with my MacBook. Thought in my case, im using the Pico W.

Some things to try:

• Only have 1 IDE open at once :wink:
  • Importing the project into PIO
  • Not sure if relevant with the R4, but nuke the board, put into BOOTSEL, and upload a practically blank setup() loop() (except for the setup which needs something similar to Serial.begin(9600);), using AIDE. On rare occasions i’ve also had to use Thonny, and MP, to kick the Serial port back into action.
  • Try a different cable and/or hub. Shouldn’t technically make any difference, given that AIDE works, but sometimes it shakes the Mac/Board into action :wink:
  • With PIO open, port set to Auto and Serial Monitor open, power cycle the R4 and see if the comms can establish a connection.

-C