Parition Tables Confirmation of correct installation?

Hi Readers,

I just changed the paritioning scheme of my ESP32 in the evironmental variable board_build.partitions.
Accidentally I made a typo in the filename of my csv file, and surprisingly i didn’t get any warning after complation.
Is there some way to reassure a new paritioning scheme has been succesfully adopted?

thanks,

Wim

What exact typo did you make? Per code

the build should exit.

I realised my typo was in the “parititions keyword”
I wrote : board.parttions = no_ota.csv
this resulted in a build succeeded, the wrongly set env parameter just gets ignored.
No warning, no error.

But even if i correctly select the new partitioning scheme other than the “flash used” bar there is no feedback as to which scheme is used.
It would be nice to include that somewhere some how. (this is probably board dependant?)

In the beginning we get a nice overview :

Verbose mode can be enabled via -v, --verbose option
CONFIGURATION: Redirecting...
PLATFORM: Espressif 32 (3.2.0) > Espressif ESP-WROVER-KIT
HARDWARE: ESP32 240MHz, 320KB RAM, 4MB Flash
DEBUG: Current (ftdi) On-board (ftdi) External (esp-prog, iot-bus-jtag, jlink, minimodule, olimex-arm-usb-ocd, olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h, olimex-arm-usb-tiny-h, olimex-jtag-tiny, tumpa)
PACKAGES:

would be nice to see it appear here if any other than default is used.

If I write

[env:esp32]
platform = espressif32
board = esp32dev
framework = arduino
board.parttions = no_ota.csv

I get

grafik

But yes independent of that, a confirmation of that configuration would be good. You can file a feature request for that in Issues · platformio/platform-espressif32 · GitHub any time.

ahah,
okay i’m using another env setting which is based of a project i forked.
Maybe that is the reason some integrations are not working as should.
Good to see it is there for the supported boards, or at least esp32 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Let me fiddle around with it a bit and see if i can recreate your message there
thanks for the feedback

Wim

The only case in which you would not get a warning is when you write

board_build.parttitions  = no_ota.csv

because that’s tricky to detect. The system is such that board_<subjection>.<attribute> = value can be injected arbitrarily – irregardless of whether it is used or not, everything is valid. You’re basically adding an attribute parttitions to the build section, but it just doesn’t get used.

1 Like