No scons.py within .platformio\packages\tool-scons\

Can someone help me with this? I am a newbie in this world and am getting a little stuck. So for context, I have a 3d printer (ender 3 pro) and I would like to upgrade the firmware (Marlin) for a variety of reasons (safety and BL touch to name just two) so I’ve read to do this I need to install VS code and then platformio and marlin auto builder. This bit went swimmingly, I came to an issue when attempting to test build the standard marlin where it spat out this

C:\Users*NAME*.platformio\python3\python.exe: can’t open file ‘C:\Users*NAME*.platformio\packages\tool-scons\scons.py’: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

So to investigate I have followed both file paths and found that within

C:\Users*NAME*.platformio\packages\tool-scons

there was no

scons.py

How do I resolve this? is it something I can just download?

Also, I’m sorry to ask but please can you let me know in the least technical way you can (I am one of those dummies from the ‘For Dummies’ instruction manuals) haha

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

Kind Regards
J

Remove this path, it seems your package is corrupted. This should not happen.

1 Like

as in literally just delete the entire folder?

Correct. PlatformIO will detect this and download a new copy (upon the next build).

In fact if PlatformIO still gives you problems after that, remove the entire C:\Users\<user>\.platformio folder and restart VSCode to force a fresh redownload.

amazing thank you this appears to be working now!! Legend

Im dont know if you have but if there is a chance that either you or someone else on here has used the Marlin Auto Build extension and is able to help me understand what the differences of environment are that would be really helpful

I am getting these two and I don’t know what the difference is or which to use

From a PlatformIO standpoint, the _maple targets are built against the Maple core GitHub - rogerclarkmelbourne/Arduino_STM32: Arduino STM32. Hardware files to support STM32 boards, on Arduino IDE 1.8.x including LeafLabs Maple and other generic STM32F103 boards

whereas the non-_maple targets are built against the other Arduino core, GitHub - stm32duino/Arduino_Core_STM32: STM32 core support for Arduino.

I’m not entirely sure why do they this, since it should result in the same functionality.

The Maple core’s development has long-since… halted I would say, in featureset. The https://github.com/stm32duino/Arduino_Core_STM32/ development is much more active.