Library update not picked up by platformio.org

Something was wrong with GitLab server, it returned a few times 500 ERROR. In this case, PIO disables updates for this library and don’t update automatically.

I’ve just re-enabled updates for a library again.

Thanks that seems to have worked.

How often the PlatformIO checks for the library updates?

Seems I have the same problem.
Could you please check: PlatformIO Registry

Thank you

Please sorry, something went wrong. I’ve just manually triggered an update for your library.

P.S: Also, switched it to library.json manifest PlatformIO Registry

1 Like

Hi @ivankravets, something seems to be going wrong again [1]. The last two updates were not picked up. Could you have a look?

It might be nice to allow library maintainers to schedule a scan as soon as possible? That’s how they do it on code.dlang.org.

[1] PlatformIO Registry

GitLab isn’t stable service. If PIO Library Crawler can’t fetch library manifest, it marks library as “broken”. In this case, we can fix only manually.

Very often they return 5xx error.

P.S: Now, is fixed! Thanks!

What happens if the manifest itself is wrong/broken?

We mark this library as “inactive” for the next synchronization. We should improve this behaviour, maybe re-check with delay.

Platformio again has not picked up the updated version. Is there anyway you can make it recheck every so often if a project is really dead, or just temporary unavailable?

Thanks, now I see the issue on the server side. It hangs with flock process which maintains our Cron jobs. I’ll investigate it soon.

Thanks a lot for the report!

P.S: Library has been updated. Sorry.

Is there a process to follow to report libraries which don’t appear to be updating? I’m looking at TinyGpsPlus which was updated 28 days ago to 1.0.2, but is still at 1.0.0 in the PIO library .

The author forgot to update manifest. See

1 Like

Same problem: This library doesn’t update in platformio registry after version increased and a release was published.

What’s the right way for a library owner to act in those cases?

There’s no matching 1.0.1 tag for the 1.0.1 version, nor is there a release for it.

If this library had a library.json, that wouldn’t be an issue, as having the version and repository parameters would be enough information for the PlatformIO registry crawler to see there was a new version, and where to get it from. I don’t think the url= field in the Arduino IDE library.properties is sufficient, as it is supposed point to the library homepage, which may not be the Git(Lab|Hub)/other repo.

If there’s a stuck library update, since the library registry is still a manual process, library owner should just make a new post asking for that library to be checked to see what’s stuck! :wink: Right @ivankravets?

I triggered build for this library PlatformIO Registry

Now everything is OK.

@pfeerick You described everything correct. However, current workflow with moderation, auto synchronization will be dropped soon. The new command pio lib publish will replace pio lib register. We will not more update libraries automatically. The only legacy libraries. So, owner will personally control version and source code of his package.

2 Likes

I have same problem on two of them …
SerialComProtocol and SketchLogger.git the difference is that those two are not registered at all and I think I’ve executed pio lib register on Saturday or Sunday

Hi, could you explain more the current situation with libraries from Arduino’ repo? I am a user of u8g2 library, and PIO registry contains an old version from 2020. The author says that he did not publish it, so I’d assume that it was migrated from Arduino repository automatically. But it hasn’t updated for a year in pio (while it’s up-to-date in Arduino). What can be done?

The issue is linked with a long library description (above 1000 chars). We improved our manifest parser for the library.properties (see Skip library.properties "paragraph" if total len >= 1000 · platformio/platformio-core@aab42c3 · GitHub).

So, the new version is available now PlatformIO Registry

Thanks for the report!

Great, thank you very much!

1 Like

Following libraries latest versions are not being picked up and I cannot figure out why: