LED (Error: Please specify `upload_port` for environment or use global `--upload-port` option.)

ok, first off, I’m a total noob when it comes to coding. trying to learn for LED projects. I am unsure what is goin on with getting this code to pass.

I’m getting this message

(Looking for upload port…
Error: Please specify upload_port for environment or use global --upload-port option.
For some development platforms it can be a USB flash drive (i.e. /media//)
*** [upload] Explicit exit, status 1)

I have a Heltec ESP32 chip connected to my laptop. i would consider that to be what the code is failing to upload to?

Well which board exactly? There are dozens of Heltec ESP32 based boards.

Whatever board it is though, it’s really important that you have the drivers for the USB-to-serial chip that is on your specific board installed. For a Heltec WiFi Kit 32 for example, that is a Silabs CP2102. So you would need to download + install the driver from

to make your computer recognize the serial port, which is the upload port.

Other boards might have a FTDI FTxxx or a W.CH CH340. The Windows device manager will also tell you if you have a unknown device.

It’s a Heltec ESP32 build-in oled wifi kit 32 the chips says V2 under the display.

Okay. So did you install CP2102 drivers?

I did. I have the zip file. I believe I unpacked it, and restarted my laptop after installing the update for Arduino. I am currently working on visual studio tho, with platformIO.

I’m just booting everything back up, going to try to upload the project again.

Ok so project failed to load again due to “upload_port” failure message. Recheck my driver’s to make sure what I unpacked installed. It did not. Took a moment, but I figured out how to get the files to the right place to install the driver’s correctly.

So everything is working as it should be now. Thank you for the help in pointing out the driver’s!

1 Like