Issues after VSCode install

So the other day I got a notice to start using VSCode so I installed it and tried to use it for a few hours but quickly came to the conclusion that it was not for me. I switched back to ATOM with PlatformIO and went back to work. I have been working on development in ESP32 and commonly upload firmware and spiffs with the terminal command:

pio run --target upload && pio run --target uploadfs

However I get all sorts of errors now. If I click the Platformio flash button in ATOM that seems to work fine, but if I try to upload firmware using the command pio run --target upload I get the following:

Assembler messages:
Fatal error: can't create .pio/build/development/libb03/ESP Async WebServer_ID306/WebAuthentication.cpp.o: No such file or directory
scons: *** [.pio/build/development/libb03/ESP Async WebServer_ID306/WebAuthentication.cpp.o] Error 1
Assembler messages:

Fatal error: can't create .pio/build/development/libb03/ESP Async WebServer_ID306/WebHandlers.cpp.o: No such file or directory
scons: *** [.pio/build/development/libb03/ESP Async WebServer_ID306/WebHandlers.cpp.o] Error 1
Assembler messages:
Fatal error: can't create .pio/build/development/libb03/ESP Async WebServer_ID306/SPIFFSEditor.cpp.o: No such file or directory
scons: *** [.pio/build/development/libb03/ESP Async WebServer_ID306/SPIFFSEditor.cpp.o] Error 1
Assembler messages:
Fatal error: can't create .pio/build/development/libb03/ESP Async WebServer_ID306/AsyncEventSource.cpp.o: No such file or directory
scons: *** [.pio/build/development/libb03/ESP Async WebServer_ID306/AsyncEventSource.cpp.o] Error 1
Assembler messages:
Fatal error: can't create .pio/build/development/libb03/ESP Async WebServer_ID306/WebServer.cpp.o: No such file or directory
scons: *** [.pio/build/development/libb03/ESP Async WebServer_ID306/WebServer.cpp.o] Error 1
Assembler messages:
Fatal error: can't create .pio/build/development/libb03/ESP Async WebServer_ID306/AsyncWebSocket.cpp.o: No such file or directory
scons: *** [.pio/build/development/libb03/ESP Async WebServer_ID306/AsyncWebSocket.cpp.o] Error 1
Assembler messages:
Fatal error: can't create .pio/build/development/libb03/ESP Async WebServer_ID306/WebResponses.cpp.o: No such file or directory
scons: *** [.pio/build/development/libb03/ESP Async WebServer_ID306/WebResponses.cpp.o] Error 1
Assembler messages:
Fatal error: can't create .pio/build/development/libb03/ESP Async WebServer_ID306/WebRequest.cpp.o: No such file or directory
scons: *** [.pio/build/development/libb03/ESP Async WebServer_ID306/WebRequest.cpp.o] Error 1
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/Users/traviselliott/Documents/PlatformIO/Projects/ESP32_MQTT_Gateway/.pio/build/.sconsign.dblite':
  File "/Users/traviselliott/.platformio/packages/tool-scons/script/../engine/SCons/Script/Main.py", line 1346:
    _exec_main(parser, values)
  File "/Users/traviselliott/.platformio/packages/tool-scons/script/../engine/SCons/Script/Main.py", line 1309:
    _main(parser)
  File "/Users/traviselliott/.platformio/packages/tool-scons/script/../engine/SCons/Script/Main.py", line 1091:
    nodes = _build_targets(fs, options, targets, target_top)
  File "/Users/traviselliott/.platformio/packages/tool-scons/script/../engine/SCons/Script/Main.py", line 1283:
    jobs.run(postfunc = jobs_postfunc)
  File "/Users/traviselliott/.platformio/packages/tool-scons/script/../engine/SCons/Job.py", line 113:
    postfunc()
  File "/Users/traviselliott/.platformio/packages/tool-scons/script/../engine/SCons/Script/Main.py", line 1280:
    SCons.SConsign.write()
  File "/Users/traviselliott/.platformio/packages/tool-scons/script/../engine/SCons/SConsign.py", line 109:
    syncmethod()
  File "/Users/traviselliott/.platformio/packages/tool-scons/script/../engine/SCons/dblite.py", line 129:
    self._os_unlink(self._file_name)
Exception OSError: (2, 'No such file or directory', '/Users/traviselliott/Documents/PlatformIO/Projects/ESP32_MQTT_Gateway/.pio/build/.sconsign.dblite') in <bound method dblite.__del__ of <SCons.dblite.dblite object at 0x10bfe5610>> ign
ored

Any ideas what in the world is going on here? I’m lost and I can’t find anything on this other than to remove .pioenvs directory from the project but that directory does not exist in the project folder.

Try removing the .pio folder, and letting PlatformIO regenerate the build cache fully. If you’ve been using VSCode with that project, there will also be a .vscode folder you can delete as its no longer needed.

If you can’t see those folder, you may need to turn on the ability to view hidden files/folders for you OS.

1 Like

Thanks @pfeerick

I actually ended up running pip -U on platformio and it seemed to have corrected the problem. As I understood it looked like I had the latest version but somehow this fixed the problem I was having.

Just out of curiosity do you know if Platformio plans to continue support for the Atom package? I tried VSCode and I just really did not like it. Maybe I’m just use to ATOM from years of use but I just couldn’t get comfortable with it at all.

1 Like

I’m not sure. It is still supported now, but as it just doesn’t have the feature set that VSCode brings out of the box, with code completion, formatting and debugging, I suspect support for Atom’s days are numbered.