Is the Raspberry Pico compiled with Debug enabled in the SDK?

Hi all,

I have a strange compilation issue against the earlephilhower core I can’t quite figure out…

Based on my first post: Status of "baremetal" Pico SDK as a PlatformIO framework I have gone on to create an initial version of a PlatformIO library targeting the native Raspberry Pico SDK (v1.4) via a fork of the Wizio-Pico baremetal platform: GitHub - Tactory/Postman: Raspberry Pi Pico OS Task Manager

This builds in PIO and runs as expected on the Pico.

I am now continuing development of this Library in an implementation before finally publishing it, using this post: Arduino Library creation - #4 by maxgerhardt from @maxgerhardt including it in the implementation project via a Git submodule as suggested.

Compiling the implementation project, using the earlephilhower core fails on a specific Pico SDK type absolute_time_t that is defined in packages/framework-arduinopico/pico-sdk/src/common/pico_base/include/pico/types.h

The errors are:

error: could not convert '0' from 'int' to 'absolute_time_t'
   24 |       absolute_time_t timeout = 0;
      |                                 ^
      |                                 |
      |                                 int
error: no match for 'operator>' (operand types are 'absolute_time_t' and 'int')
  116 |           if(worker->timeout > 0){
      |              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^ ~
      |                      |         |
      |                      |         int
      |                      absolute_time_t
error: no match for 'operator=' (operand types are 'absolute_time_t' and 'int64_t' {aka 'long long int'})
  117 |             worker_timeout = absolute_time_diff_us(get_absolute_time(), worker->timeout);

Looking closer at pico/types.h this is defined:

#ifdef NDEBUG
typedef uint64_t absolute_time_t;
#else
typedef struct {
    uint64_t _private_us_since_boot;
} absolute_time_t;
#endif

When I build in the wizio-pico framework NDEBUG is defined, however building in the earlephilhower core NDEBUG is not defined. Remove the define below and this no longer compiles:

#define NDEBUG 1

#include <Arduino.h>

void setup() {
  absolute_time_t timeout = 0;
}

void loop() {}

Is the earlephilhower core compiling the Pico SDK with debug enabled?

Explicitly adding build_flags = -DNDEBUG to the implementation platform.ini solves the issue