Is it no longer possible to download the docs?

I’ve always downloaded a PDF of the latest docs onto my laptop, for those times I’m not connected. There have been a few releases of lte, so I figured I’d better get up to date docs to match the installed software.

I used to go to https://docs.platformio.org, scroll down the left side to the bottom, click “latest” and then download the PDF from “Downloads” list. However, today when I do that, there’s no “Downloads” option.

Has this been deliberately disabled by the project? Or is it ReadTheDocs themselves? I can still do the downloading with my own project on ReadTheDocs.

Cheers,
Norm.

We moved away from ReadTHeDocs due to the high load on our docs. You can always clone docs from GitHub - platformio/platformio-docs: PlatformIO Documentation and build PDF/ePub, etc on your side.

Hi @ivankravets.

Ok, thanks. This is no problem as I use Sphinx for a couple of projects.

Unfortunately, it seems there’s a missing (Python?) module, “platformio” when I try to build the docs. Here’s my process:

• sudo apt install python3-sphinx
  • pip install sphinx-rtd-theme
  • sudo apt install latexmk - I already have a full latex environment installed on my new laptop.
  • git clone git@github.com:platformio/platformio-docs.git
  • cd platformio-docs
  • make latexpdf

The result is:

Running Sphinx v1.8.5

Configuration error:
There is a programmable error in your configuration file:

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'platformio'

make: *** [Makefile:20: html] Error 2

I installed the platformio module using pip install platformio and got a bit further, this time the error was a missing extension notfound.extension.

I installed notfound with pip install notfound which worked fine, but still errors out.

make latexpdf
Running Sphinx v1.8.5

Extension error:
Could not import extension notfound.extension (exception: No module named 'notfound')
make: *** [Makefile:20: html] Error 2

I have Platformio installed as the VSCode extension, with my $PATH set to include /home/norman/.platformio/penv/bin so that I can use the commandline tools. I didn’t install PlatformIO, originally, using pip.

Cheers,
Norm.

We have a guide for this platformio-core/CONTRIBUTING.md at develop · platformio/platformio-core · GitHub

Clone the PIO Core recursively somewhere, install pip install tox --user, cd pio-core, tox -e docs. Wait until the docs are completed, source .tox/docs/bin/activate, cd docs, make latexpdf.

1 Like

Thanks again. I never thought to look at “contributing”, my bad. :cry:

I’ll give that a try later if MrsD allows me some playtime. :wink:

Have you considered generating the PDF for the docs and attaching it to the various releases? I know it’s a bit extra work but would be very useful.

Cheers,
Norm.

Sadly, no further progress.

I cloned the PlatformIO-core repository, installed tox, built the docs, but then:

SourceCode/platformio-core/docs$ make latexpdf
Running Sphinx v1.8.5

Extension error:
Could not import extension notfound.extension (exception: No module named 'notfound')
make: *** [Makefile:20: latexpdf] Error 1

SourceCode/platformio-core/docs$ pip install notfound
Processing /home/norman/.cache/pip/wheels/67/8c/d3/46e207dbf6ae81bda39f01da88b711c8548fd67c14f8a38a8d/NotFound-1.0.2-py3-none-any.whl
Installing collected packages: notfound
Successfully installed notfound-1.0.2

SourceCode/platformio-core/docs$ make latexpdf
Running Sphinx v1.8.5

Extension error:
make: *** [Makefile:20: latexpdf] Error 1

Same error as I had before. The notfound.extension is, ahem, not found. :frowning_face:

Cheers,
Norm.

I have the same issue and result. :frowning_face: