IntelliSenseMode // "gcc-x64" to "gcc-arm"

Since a number of days the message below keeps popping up when starting platformIO. It is a new messages and not sure what I should do with it.

[11/23/2020, 8:41:51 AM] For C++ source files, IntelliSenseMode was changed from “gcc-x64” to “gcc-arm” based on compiler args and probing compilerPath: “C:/Users/itsme/.platformio/packages/toolchain-gccarmnoneeabi/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe”

Any ideas?

This is a good thing.

By default, Intellisense parses your code with a compiler for generating Intel 64-bit code. That would likely be suitable for your desktop computer. However, as a PlatformIO user, you are most likely working on code for a microprocessor and specifically for an ARM-based microcontroller.

Intellisense has detected this. So it switches the compiler for parsing the code to a compiler generating ARM code. That compiler is more suitable for your code and will result in better Intellisense support.

The messages just inform about the switch of the compiler.

2 Likes

Hi Manuel,

Thanks for your reply. Yes indeed I am using a Cortex processor so the IntelliSenseMode detects well.
Is there an easy way to set the default to ARM (want to get rid of these startup messages :-))

The PlatformIO core would have to modify the way it generates the VSCode project files (c_cpp_properties.json in this particular instance I think?). File an issue at Issues · platformio/platformio-core · GitHub.

Issue opened Windows: Set "intelliSenseMode" property in c_cpp_properties.json file to "gcc-arm" · Issue #3745 · platformio/platformio-core · GitHub