Import Arduino Project failed, a well as any new project

I installed platform io on various PCs, but on one Linux machine, it seems impossible. I made one mistake to install the python plugin before Platformio. I remove the install directories more than once, even VSCcode, reinstall more than once, but to no affair. It always worked before on different PCs. Everything seems fine until you create or open an Arduino project (Even install Arduino with STM32 and ESP32 addons), then try to import a project. It creates the directories and an empty ‘ini’ file, with the please wait’ forever ( waited last night more than 12 hours last night). I also tried to install it from the console, and yes I do have internet.

gerrie@PCIe:~$ pio platform install espressif32 --with-package arduino
Platform Manager: Installing espressif32
Downloading  [####################################]  100%          
Unpacking  [####################################]  100%
Platform Manager: espressif32 @ 3.4.0 has been installed!
Error: Could not find the package with 'arduino' requirements for your system 'linux_x86_64.

I also tried
pio upgrade --dev (restart)
pio platform update

System: Linux Kubuntu 20.04 LTE (64) (fresh install)
Very latest VS and PlatformIO.

Thanks in advance

There is no package called arduino. As per

the Arduino core package is called framework-arduinoespressif32.

Note that this does not include the toolchain (compiler etc.) or the uploader (esptoolpy), these are separate packages.

I don’t however understand why you want to preload the Arduino core package – PlatformIO will install the needed package is it goes when a project is compiled.

As I said in the original " PlatformIO will install the needed package is it goes when a project is compiled: just did not work, I once waited 8 hours and abs nothing happens, so I had to try something else, as I could not find any error log as what went wrong. If I stopped(abort) it, only empty directories were created.

pio platform install framework-arduinoespressif32
Platform Manager: Installing framework-arduinoespressif32
Error: Could not find the package with ‘framework-arduinoespressif32’ requirements for your system ‘linux_x86_64’

You can’t install that as a platform, you should be doing it as pio platform install espressif32 --with-package framework-arduinoespressif32

Thanks, that solved my problem. Still don’t know why the auto did not work in the first place. Interesting I created a new STM32 project and that actually installed all the compilers etc as it is supposed to do.

Forgot to tick the solution… Thanks again, appeciated.