How is a platform updated to use a newer version of a framework?

I am trying to compile a project for the XMC4700 that uses SPI and it trips over not finding Wire.h.
“.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoxmc\libraries\SPI\src\HW_SPI.cpp:28:10: fatal error: Wire.h: No such file or directory”
I already put in an issue with GitHub - Infineon/platformio-infineonxmc: Scripts and examples for developing XMC Microcontroller Boards using Platform IO but now I tried to solve this myself.

platformio-infineonxmc is using GitHub - Infineon/XMC-for-Arduino: Integration of Infineon's XMC microcontrollers into the Arduino IDE.
But it uses version 1.4 from 2020 and after that there were a couple more releases up to 3.0.0 last month.

I saw platform.json and modified
“version”: “^1.4.0”,
to
“version”: “^3.0.0”,

And to a couple of other versions in between.
But that is not working.

Tool Manager: Installing platformio/framework-arduinoxmc @ ^1.5.0
UnknownPackageError: Could not find the package with ‘platformio/framework-arduinoxmc @ ^1.5.0’ requirements for your system ‘windows_amd64’

Tool Manager: Installing platformio/framework-arduinoxmc @ ^1.7.0
UnknownPackageError: Could not find the package with ‘platformio/framework-arduinoxmc @ ^1.7.0’ requirements for your system ‘windows_amd64’

Tool Manager: Installing platformio/framework-arduinoxmc @ ^2.2.0
UnknownPackageError: Could not find the package with ‘platformio/framework-arduinoxmc @ ^2.2.0’ requirements for your system ‘windows_amd64’

Tool Manager: Installing platformio/framework-arduinoxmc @ ^3.3.0
UnknownPackageError: Could not find the package with ‘platformio/framework-arduinoxmc @ ^3.3.0’ requirements for your system ‘windows_amd64’

And when listing the dependencies the Arduino framework is removed:
Resolving XMC4700 dependencies…
Platform infineonxmc @ 1.2.0 (required: infineonxmc)
├── framework-arduinoxmc @ 1.4.0 (required: platformio/framework-arduinoxmc @ ^1.4.0)
├── tool-jlink @ 1.78811.0 (required: platformio/tool-jlink @ ^1.63208.0)
└── toolchain-gccarmnoneeabi @ 1.70201.0 (required: platformio/toolchain-gccarmnoneeabi @ >=1.60301.0,<1.80000.0)

Resolving XMC4700 dependencies…
Platform infineonxmc @ 1.2.0 (required: infineonxmc)
├── tool-jlink @ 1.78811.0 (required: platformio/tool-jlink @ ^1.63208.0)
└── toolchain-gccarmnoneeabi @ 1.70201.0 (required: platformio/toolchain-gccarmnoneeabi @ >=1.60301.0,<1.80000.0)

What is the issue?
Does the framework version need to be registered somewhere?